Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SawStop PCS Dedicated Thread

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa

SawStop PCS Dedicated Thread

Starting this thread because the other one is getting too confusing to follow!

Rob and Paul,

I'm assuming you had to get your own 220 plug? I have the three-prong twist lock system in my garage. And... having seen your posts, I guess I need to make a trip to HD or Lowes and get 12-15 ft of 12/3 (Some more neon yellow in my shop.. Yayyy!!)

Never saw the Oshlun Dado set before, but just looked at reviews at Rockler and Amazon. Nice price and great reviews! Sigh... another $85.00 outbound!
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Trinkle View Post
    Starting this thread because the other one is getting too confusing to follow!

Rob and Paul,

Never saw the Oshlun Dado set before, but just looked at reviews at Rockler and Amazon. Nice price and great reviews! Sigh... another $85.00 outbound!
    Frank,

Hopefully you didn't buy the dado set yet. Go to holbren.com. He has the best price on the set, plus you can use code SMC10 to get another 10% off. Shipping is really fast from them too.

I had a 220 line for my SC saw alreay. But I needed to add a
    longer cord to my saw. The one that it came with is only 6ft, too short. I went to HD and bought the real nice rubber weather proof 14/3 cord, it was about .86 a foot. That cord is a lot more flexable when cold. And a plug for the wall. I dont use the twist lock but you can get that end from HD too. The manuel for the saw says if you stay under 25 ft you can use 14 guage. That is the size wire that was on the saw. If you go over 25 ft then you need 12. But for the outlet on the wall you will need 12/3 for 220 20 amps. The motor only pulls 13 at start up so a 20 amp breaker is plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    Frank,

Hopefully you didn't buy the dado set yet. Go to holbren.com. He has the best price on the set, plus you can use code SMC10 to get another 10% off. Shipping is really fast from them too.
    Awesome! Thanks for that tip... didn't know about that company. Just bought the Dado set there and added some Whiteside Bit Sets as well!

Home Depot in a bit to buy cord and plug!

Thanks!
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

Ben Weingarten

Plug

I was told by Dylan the plug is a nema 6-15p.

On another subject to those that have their units set up what is your impression of the fence especially as compared to a Biesmier.

I'm at the tail end of this not expecting my saw to ship until 4/15.

Lowes had what they call "portable cord" that seems to be designed for power cords- black outer sheath, very flexible, braided copper, similar to what comes on the saw. I went ahead and bought 12/3 b/c I couldn't remember if the manual said 14g or 12g.

The only fence I can compare it to is my aluminum contractor saw fence, and it's much better. I think it's the same T-Glide fence that comes with the contractor SawStop. I'm very happy with it.

I set up that dado set today, nice cuts. I made some with a router and some with the dado set, and I couldn't tell the difference. I like this set because it's set up for plywood- doing a full stack for 3/4 actually put me at 23/32 which is nice. I can add the 3/32 chipper for a full 3/4 when I need it.

I've spent a full two days on the saw and I'm sold on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rob Price; 03-30-2009 at 8:46 PM.

Hi Frank also looking for a dado for PSS Did you buy the 8" and is that the right one for a 10"PSS Saw? George

Yup... all 10" TS's use 8" Dado's. The recommendation to go to holbren.com was awesome. Best price by far for the Oshlun dado set. Selling my Grizzly Dado Set (New Unused) in the Classifieds as a result!

Cheers

Ben Weingarten

Router plate for extension

Still working on building mine up. Anybody know if you can put a router plate in the extension table? or is this not a good idea?

thanks,
    andrew

I'll be putting in a router "TABLE" on the Right side in place of the extension from Incra. Got the full TS-LS system.

Ben Weingarten

I have been contemplating this, I'm sure you can. I would probably beef up the support underneath. I've seen pics of it done.

I'd hate to tear up that nice table though. I'd be careful not to chip out the plastic on top.

I've decided it's time for a dedicated router station, ala Norm. A good project to break in the new saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan T Jones View Post
    I was told by Dylan the plug is a nema 6-15p.

On another subject to those that have their units set up what is your impression of the fence especially as compared to a Biesmier.

I'm at the tail end of this not expecting my saw to ship until 4/15.

Dan,

The fence is growing on me. At first I didn't really like it. But I am starting to accept it. You have to understand I was using a SC saw with their industrial fence. To me that is the best fence system out there period. The faces are super durable, the fence is beefy, and it slides super smoothly. The problem I am having with the SS fence is slop before it is locked down. I like my fences to slide smooth, but have very little slop before locking down. With the SS fence right now in order to get it to slide smooth it has a fair amount of slop before locking down. If you DONT hold the fence tight to the rail when pushing the lock lever it can and has moved on me. It is more an annoying thing than a functional problem. Once locked it holds tight and faces are smooth. I wish the faces were plastic like the SC, I may order some of those and put them on. If I tighten the slop out of the fence it doesn't slide smooth. The reason this is happening is because the way it came adjusted one of the screws is much farther out than the other. I think if I play with it I can get the adjustments much more uniform and then I can take more of the slop out. I just haven't had time for that. Right now it is adjusted so the slides are about 1/16 away from the rail when locked. I think I should be able to take that in half if I play with it. I wanted to use the saw now and these are just pet peves the fence does it's job well.

And the saw, HO HO HO, it is a keeper. It seems to have lots more power than my 3 hp SC, it cut 7/4 hickory with the stock blade like butter. The dust collection is better than the SC, and the fit and finish is 2nd to none. The mobile base is real nice, just wish it had 4 swivle casters instead of 2. All in all I am very happy. I will have more to praise or complain about next week.
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 04-01-2009 at 10:34 PM.

Paul, I used my putty knife to set the fence up, it's less than 1/16 and doesn't seem to have much slop when I move it. I didn't really look at the bolts on the fence. In every review I've read of the previous models, the fence has been a strong point- so I'm guessing you can tweak it and get it like you want it.

I was hoping the faces would be plastic, but it looks like melamine covered plywood (for those of you who don't have theirs yet).

I went out and bought a dial indicator today. For some reason I always thought they were very expensive. I needed a router bit for a project, and right next to it was a shop fox indicator and magnetic base. Now I just need to figure it out.

I'm liking the riving knife, I had to resaw some 1" strips of walnut 1/4 thick from my 3/4 stock. I used pieces at least 2" wide so the blade was never exposed. The ripped strips came out looking great, needing just a bit of sanding. No pinching or burning on the blade.

The brake isn't as obtrusive as I thought it would be. I can go from SS blade, to my combo, to my ripping, to my dado set without any adjustments (except for swapping in the dado brake of course). I really like the clamp on the insert as well.

Now if I could just get it to clean up the shop while I'm gone it would be perfect....

EDIT: I did remove the anti-kickback pawls. The spring is set too tight- they left decent marks in some red oak I was ripping. I'm going to see if I can reduce the spring tension. Really, the pawls are barbed, I wonder if they would work without a spring at all?
    Last edited by Rob Price; 04-01-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Fence

Paul,

I have a Sears 22124 with a true Biesmier fence. When I saw the difference between the contractor fence(now evidently on the PCS) and Industrial model fence it was substantial. The rails are of much thinner steel than the ICS or Biesmier. I'm glad to hear it growing on you. I inquired into not buying the PCS fence and putting an aftermarket fence on of my choosing but no deal. I certainly could understand this policy as they want us to test the full package offered. Frank I think will have the best of these worlds with his Incra.

It would be interesting to know what table saw all of us testers have been using since this so greatly colors our reactions to the PCS.

I moved up from a Ridgid 3650 contractor saw. Before that I had a Ryobi but it's barely worth mentioning- basically a circular saw mounted upside down on an aluminium table.

I had... and HAVE... a Bosch 4100DG-09 Contractor that is basically brand new. (less than 10BF through it) Got this deal on the PCS before I really started using the Bosch.

It's FOR SALE!!! NOW!!! Get it outa here!! NEED ROOM! (Lots of extras and a GREAT price on CL in Valdosta GA!)

Ben Weingarten