Thread: masking unfinished wood

masking unfinished wood

Will putting blue painters tape on unfinished wood affect how the wood takes a finish? I want to tape off the face frame of an unfinished cabinet, apply a clear finish to the interior, then tape off the interior, and paint the face frame white.

Thanks!

I have never had a problem with it.
    I tape off my glue joints all the time.

Sure, I would mask a glue joint without hesitation, but what about something that is going to get a WB finish?

Quote Originally Posted by j milana View Post
    Sure, I would mask a glue joint without hesitation, but what about something that is going to get a WB finish?
    Should be no problem, I have never seen any problem with any finish I have used.

Shouldn't affect it, look into prefinished maple plywood in the future though. And if you don't have any available in your area look into prefinishing the parts before assembly. Boxes are cumbersome to spray and to do them very well requires a lot of practice and experience. And dealing with overspray without a booth is interesting to say the least.

I tried the prefinished ply. I just cant manage to keep it from getting scratched up

It shouldn't scratch, light scratches but nothing should dig in. Most GOOD prefinished maple ply is coated with a thick very durable finish that is much stronger than most lacquers and CV's.

The blue tape is "designed" not leave any residue behind. In my experience, it does not. Most other masking tapes can leave a residue of adhesive when they are removed.
    David DeCristoforo

I think I will go tape up some scrap and let it sit overnight then remove the tape and see what happens. Thanks for the replies

P.S. One roll of blue tape I have says "do not use with or on laquer, or wood floors" ...I wonder why?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j milana View Post
    I think I will go tape up some scrap and let it sit overnight then remove the tape and see what happens. Thanks for the replies

P.S. One roll of blue tape I have says "do not use with or on laquer, or wood floors" ...I wonder why?
    Lacquer thinner is probably a solvent for the adhesive. Some stains and finishes will lift the tape and allow the finish to wick under it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I mask all the time with blue tape and no problems.. If you don't feel comfortable that their will be no residue simply wipe the surface that has been covered with Acetone and let it throughly dry.

Sarge..

I also have masked off with blue tape without any problems, when I remember!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Any problems using Frog Tape?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    Any problems using Frog Tape?
    Not in my experience, it's just more expensive.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut