Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Bowls

Cherry Bowls

Well a guy I supervise at work came back from Missouri with some cherry logs. Some was on the small side. Anyway my grandson called about a month or month and a half ago. He wanted poppa to make him a new cereal bowl. He loves the first one I made. So poppa got on the lathe with the smaller logs and turned him 4 new bowls. They are 5 to 5 1/2 inches across and 2" deep. Finished with antique oil the same as his first one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie - those are some great looking cherry bowls! Your grandson is going to love them! Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Hey Bernie,
    You hit it big time with the cherry. I really like the thickness of the bowls; a little heft to them. Nice job.
    Allen

Poppa did well! Now where are the "Pops"?
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Nice looking bowls but I don't think they'll hold nearly enough cereal for a growing boy.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Bernie:
    Those are some great bowls. He will remember using them the rest of his life because his Poppa made them for him.

All the best.

Don

Nice bowls Bernie. Cherry is one of my favorite woods for the table. How does Antique oil hold up as a finish for cereal bowls?

Marc Himes

Thanks for the comments. He always asks when he comes in the summer if he and poppa can turn something. He doesn't much care what he just likes helping poppa hold the tools.

John F. they are plenty big for a 5 yr old. He thinks he's a big boy cause he eats two bowls full. Of course poppa doesn't argue.

Marc H. the antique oil has held up well for being used almost everyday for 3 yrs. Of course mom washes with soapy water, rinses and then dries right away.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Poppa dun good.They are great bowls and with that nice big foot I doubt even a 5 year old he-man can knock them over. ....Bill..

The natural beauty of the cherry really stands out in those bowls. They are definitely something special.

Thanks again for the kind comments.
    Bernie

Nice job Poppa. I'm jealous of the little "big guy". those are beautiful bowls.

Thanks Jarrod. He does like poppa's bowls especially when he can help poppa hold the tools.
    Bernie

Very nice. Sounds like you have a future turner there. I'm assuming you used the DNA process since it only took a month and a half?

Dave

Great job on the bowls Bernie. The only thing better than making things for your grand kids is having them help you (or you help them)
    Dave
    My money talks to me... It says Good Bye.