Thread: Curly Maple Baseball Bat

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Curly Maple Baseball Bat

It's been a while since posting in the turning forum as the majority of my work has been flat-work. Anyway, believe it or not, I had a homework assignment for my Cost Accounting Class and that was to make a bat.

Here's the backstory...

Two weeks ago, I was sitting in class and our professor decided to use baseball bat manufacturing as our in-class example on budgeting. He asked if anyone makes baseball bats, not really expecting a response. Of course, I raised my hand and he was taken back that someone in class actually knew how to make a baseball bat. Long story short, I walked him through the process so we can account for materials, labor, etc.

Last week, the professor asked me to bring in a bat so he can see my work. I didn't have any laying around, so I went ahead and made this one on the lathe. It's made from Curly Maple (Quite the suprise when the curl popped) and measures 33" in length. The handle is 1" thick and tapers to a 2.5" barrel with a slight cup on the top. I sanded it to 600 grit and then finished it with shellac-wax.

I am so ecstatic on how this one turned out. Normally, I would take one to the batting cage to try it out, but this one looks too good to actually use. I will say it feels great when I swing it.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images