Thread: aluminum color paint?

aluminum color paint?

Howdy all

I am playing around with the painting on glass then lasering off and repainting another color - rinse repeat idea that Onur had posted. Well, it's the same idea that Onur used only I'm doing a little twist on it in that we are doing logos of our two finest state universities in an outline of our state with mini logos surrounding the outside.

Anyway, not sure that part is important, but I wanted to paint the Texas A&M logos grey...and it turns out the paint we bought is "aluminum" color. What this means is it is kind of shiny silver...not as shiny say as chrome but still a little shiny. I'm wondering if it is safe to spray this on my glass and then laser it away or am I risking bouncing the laser beam back into the tube and frying it? I did buy some grey primer tonight that I can use instead...but I thought that other paint would look cool...if it won't damage our laser! Does anyone know if this type of paint would reflect the laser back or not?? It is cheap paint from Wallyworld...the Color Place spray paint that is like 96 cents per can...if that helps any.

Thanks,

~Alicia
    John & Alicia Love
    Pinnacle M series 40 Watt Laser
    Coreldraw X3, Photograv V2_11,
    an old handsaw and a garage full of toys.
    4 Kids (3 girls one boy), 4 grandkids, a Bloodhound, St. Bernard and a boxer.
    The dogs own the place and allow us to live with them.

I Like kids... I just can't eat a whole one
    Save the whales... Collect the whole set
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works if its open

Blog Entries
    You guys will be fine... there's not enough reflectivity in that paint due to the randomness of the particles.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

John,

Do you subscribe to the Scrollsaw Workshop daily e-mail? There was a guy who made something almost like what you're talking about. I'm sure it's on his website if you want to go look at it.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by John W. Love View Post
    or am I risking bouncing the laser beam back into the tube and frying it?
    Hi Alicia,

As Dan says, it should not be a problem but if you are still nervous or cautious, sit one end of the glass up on a sliver of wood about 1/8" thick. That will still allow the beam to still be in focus at the surface and any reflection will miss the lens carriage because of the angle.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Thanks guys! We were just a little nervous, not wanting to fry our machine as there is absolutely no way we can afford a new tube at the moment I thought it would be fine, but John said "are you sure, do you want to risk it???" and so I thought I'd better ask first lol

~Alicia
    John & Alicia Love
    Pinnacle M series 40 Watt Laser
    Coreldraw X3, Photograv V2_11,
    an old handsaw and a garage full of toys.
    4 Kids (3 girls one boy), 4 grandkids, a Bloodhound, St. Bernard and a boxer.
    The dogs own the place and allow us to live with them.

I Like kids... I just can't eat a whole one
    Save the whales... Collect the whole set
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works if its open