Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello. Another FNG with a ?

Hello. Another FNG with a ?

Hello Creek Members

Let me start off by saying I am farely new to this forum but I do know the rule about pictures and as soon as I get my digital camera program installed I will start posting pictures sorry.. I also would like to tell every one here that I like how everyone here is very polite and supportive of others. I do have a question though I am looking at purchasing a set of guide bushings for my PC 895. Any recomendations would be great. I intend on using it for as many things as I can get away with. I am just getting back into woodworking after a long break (12 years or so). I am not trying to spend to much money on them but I do like using quality tools. What kinds of things am I looking for when purchasing this item or if you already have a specific brand in mind let me know. Any help would really be great. Take care

Tim

Welcome, and another Phoenix WW joins SMC . As far as bushings are concerned, since you have Porter Cable router, you are in like Flinn. Those are pretty much the de facto standard in guide bushings... I would go for something milled from brass since they are more likely to stay in place, Woodcraft (No longer in business in PHX but available online) Rockler (Thunderbird and Tatum), or even Lee Valley (http://www.leevalley.com) will have guide bushings.

Welcome again, it's nice to see some more folks from the Valley of the Heat Stroke come online to cool off during our "off season" Oh yeah and you really need to busy on those pics
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome Tim,
    It's good to know you have the most important rule down !
    Glad to have you at the Creek. Great bunch of folk here.
    Rockler sells a nice set of brass guide bushings. Real purty,
    and they will self distruct in pieces before they will damage your router bits should they ever make that contact.
    PC of course offers its own brand assured to fit its routers.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 07-22-2004 at 7:13 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

What are you guys doing up at this ungodly hour???

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ballent
    Welcome, and another Phoenix WW joins SMC . As far as bushings are concerned, since you have Porter Cable router, you are in like Flinn. Those are pretty much the de facto standard in guide bushings... I would go for something milled from brass since they are more likely to stay in place, Woodcraft (No longer in business in PHX but available online) Rockler (Thunderbird and Tatum), or even Lee Valley (http://www.leevalley.com) will have guide bushings.

Welcome again, it's nice to see some more folks from the Valley of the Heat Stroke come online to cool off during our "off season" Oh yeah and you really need to busy on those pics
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

Hi Tim, I'm new here as well, you may want to try price cutter http://www.pricecutter.com/html/ He runs a sale on his brass bushings time to time. Brass, besides as someone else mentioned seem to stay tight better also won't dull your carbide if you bump it during set up. They will wear quicker if you use steel templates but not enought to matter in most cases.

Dave
    The Light of One Candle is Never Dimmed by Lighting Another

Tim

Welcome to the "Creek". I just picked up a 10 piece brass set from Woodcraft for $30 for my new Dewalt 618PK.
    Last edited by Mike Leonard; 07-22-2004 at 7:42 AM.
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

Welcome Tim.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Talking Welcome!!!

Welcome, Tim.
    We've been waiting on you to join.
    We'll be waiting for your pictures!!
    Don't forget to check out the special on hats!!!
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

Thumbs up

Welcome to the 'Creek Tim! From beginners to pros....they are all here! Jump in when you feel the urge! Again....Welcome!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Talking

Welcome Tim, from another WW this side of the state........

Great bunch of guys and a lot of good knowledge.

You came to the right place.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    What are you guys doing up at this ungodly hour???

Well Tyler---WHATS YOUR EXCUSE!!!!!!
    LOL...
    Steve

Router guide bushings

Tim
    WELCOME!
    Stick with brass.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Welcome

Welcome!! Recently bought a set of Brass guide bushings @ ROCKLER on sale for under $40 which work well on my PC router. Glad to have you Jerry

Decided

Thank you everyone for the nice welcome.

I decided to just go to Rockler up the street from my house, (thanks Michael), and buy there brass (like everyone sugested) kit. It is great to sign on here and get quick, very knowlegeable, and almost free help (cost of pictures). As soon as I get back on my feet (pulled muscle in back yesterday), and download the camera program I will post some pictures. I have not done any real projects, but I have been working on some jigs for upcoming projects and to build up skill and confidence. If pictures of the jigs are o.k. Ill post them.

Thanks Again this place is great

Tim

It's not a good one Steve but there was no one warm and tender to keep me in the bed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Well Tyler---WHATS YOUR EXCUSE!!!!!!
    LOL...
    Steve
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.