Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Compressor won't work when cold

Some folks missed that the drain valve was open and the tank held no compressed air.

I had it plugged into an outlet using a 10' 14g ext cord. I'll have to try a heavier one and see if that makes a difference. There's no reasonable way to plug it directly to the outlet.

I'll also try a synthetic oil (5W-20 or 5W-30 if I can find it) to lighten the starting load.

Thanks,
    Dick

Lighter weight oil won't do a thing.

10' cord should be just fine. I couldn' get mine to start when plugged into an overhead cord reel one day.

There is a cylinder unloader usually located on the pressure switch, usually has a pull ring on it. Pull that out when it is cold and let it run a couple of minutes free of load. Warms up the oil. Another way is to use a heat gun to warm the oil before starting, or leave a light bulb next to the crankcase.

I have one that sounds similar, and when possible I wire it for 220 volt. Some job sites don't have 220, so I switch it back or use one of the other smaller ones.

Quote Originally Posted by david decristoforo View Post
    i won't work when i'm too cold either.....

+1 :d...........

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Butler View Post
    Lighter weight oil won't do a thing.
    I'm confused about all the responses....

From my Makita2400 manual:
    "CAUTION: Multi-Viscosity motor oils, like 10W30, should not be used in an air compressor. They leave carbon deposits on critical components, thus reducing performance and compressor life.
    Use air compressor oil only."

Then for the temperatures:
    Ambient Temperatures at Point of operation:
    -16°C TO 0°C (3.2°F - 32°F) SAE 10W ISO 32
    1°C TO 26°C (33.8°F - 78.8°F) SAE 20W ISO 68
    ABOVE 27°C (80.6°F) SAE 30W ISO 100

Brian,
    Thanks for the warning on motor oil. However, I'm using 10W-30 compressor oil as recommended and supplied by the manufacturer.

Couldn't find where you mentioned the brand name, but Ridgid's new compressor has this problem and there have been several complaints about it in other forums.