Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Wacom Intuos4 is coming :)

Blog Entries

The Wacom Intuos4 is coming :)

Just a few short days ago I was musing about the eventual introduction of Corel X5 and the Intuos4 tablet. While I still have heard nothing coming out of Corel's doors, I do have news from the land of Wacom...

Four models will be introduced (and expect some sticker shock here, boys and girls):
    * 4 x 6 inch small for $299
    * 6 x 9 inch medium for $479
    * 8 x 13 inch large for $999
    * 12 x 19 extra large for $649

These prices were lifted from an inventory screen, so there's still no clue as to why the extra large one is over $300 cheaper (my guess is someone missed typing in a '1' in front of the price). They're all apparently in stock at the distribution center, but there's no word on when they'll actually ship to stores.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan,

I bought my 6x9 tablet at Best Buy a few months ago for $300......so, with the "new" ones coming out, maybe there will be a sale on the "old" ones. And they work just as well as the "new" ones!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Blog Entries
    Like you, I'm waiting for the Intuos4 to come out so I can find some deals on the Intuos3. The 8x13 model is more of my size range, but if I can get that 12x19 for the listed price (doubtful), I'd go for it over an Intuos3

Of course, if I could pick up a Cintiq for that price, I'd be in heaven

Hey Steve, the new one will be out soon. Time to get your old version 3 sent off to me in the post!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I'll trade you my Wacom and 1.5" lens for your flame polisher.........
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

I have a tablet, but even when I'm drawing, I keep reverting to the mouse. I'd like to get more use out of it.

What sorts of tasks do you find these are most useful for?

Thanks!
    Dave

David, I basically threw my mouse away......I use my tablet exclusively now. It's just alot faster and more precise....especially when tracing.

Blog Entries
    Steve, if you weren't in on the flame polisher group buy, contact Jack... I believe he intended to order a few extras for sale on eBay (and they were ordered with a 120V input). It may not have the mystique of being previously owned by Frank, but you can always lie to people about it...

David, I haven't had one for quite some time, but when I did I used it mostly for natural media projects. They work well for masking jobs where the mask isn't a simple square (like removing background from wind-blown hair), applying custom vignettes, etc. I think you'll find more uses for them as you play, but only if you do a lot of image editing. If your game is a lot of awards with little more than text, vector files, etc. you may not see much return on investment. YMMV...

It's cool and all, but I love my Wireless Bluetooth Wacom Graphire. It and I go a long way.

I need the voice of experience!

I bought a small Wacom Graphire (cheap on ebay -$40) to see what it's like and took Steve's advice to just use the pen exclusively to get used to it. It's fine so far, but how do you blow up and reduce the page view with it?

On my mouse, I use the wheel. This one has 2 buttons, but they are for scrolling and other commands. It also has a wireless mouse, so for page view, I've had to resort to the mouse... once it's in my hand, I have to remember to get rid of it!

Thanks, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee,

My tablet has four buttons and a slider on each side and I can program them to respresent any keystroke I want......the slider is my zoom in/out. Plus the pen has two buttons which are what you normally use the two buttons on a mouse for.

I'll swop you a brand new 5 button mouse for your tablet Steve and I'll throw in a picture of my flame polisher!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    I'll swop you a brand new 5 button mouse for your tablet Steve and I'll throw in a picture of my flame polisher!
    I already have a picture of your flame polisher......actually, I engraved it on a HD Granite tile last week.........

Blog Entries
    Prices may not be as bad as originally listed. Someone did a review of the 6x9 on Amazon, and after the review was posted Amazon's bots listed the price as $349. So:

Four models will be introduced (and expect some sticker shock here, boys and girls):
    * 4 x 6 inch small for $299
    * 6 x 9 inch medium for $479 (listed as $349 on Amazon)
    * 8 x 13 inch large for $999
    * 12 x 19 extra large for $649

Let's see if any of the other prices drop...

Here's a review:
    The Vista drivers for this version are much more stable than the ones for the Intuos3. With my Intuos3 I am constantly getting error messages and having to restart the computer. Even though I love the device, I don’t use it as much as I would like because the driver situation gets so frustrating. I’ve been using the Intuos4 all day and have not had one single problem with the driver. It was easy to install and has worked pretty much flawlessly. The only issue I had was with the eraser not working in Photoshop. After doing some searches on the internet I found out that this is related to a conflict when more than one tablet is installed. The solution was to unplug the tablet, use the “Wacom Tablet Preference File Utility” to delete all of my preference files, and then plug the tablet back and and restart Photoshop. Now it works like a charm.

One of my favorite new features of this version is the pen base. Whoever designed it was a genius. When you turn the base the bottom comes out and all the pen nibs are stored in there. It’s really brilliant. Another neat thing about it is that there is a small metal ring with a notch in it with the nibs. You use the ring to grip the nib when you want to remove it from the pen. It works really well on most of the nibs and makes it much, much easier to change the nibs. The only nib it doesn’t really work with is the black and white “flex” nib. Because the tip of that nib is hollow it is really difficult to grip it with the ring, or anything else for that matter.

In this model the shortcut buttons are all on one side and the drivers allow you to set the orientation for right or left handed use. There are a lot of buttons, eight to be exact. Next to the buttons is an LED display showing what the buttons do. I’m always forgetting what the buttons do on my old tablet, so I can definitely appreciate this. You can customize the display, too. When you set it to a keystroke you can name it and the name will then be displayed next to the button. It’s pretty cool. When you switch between applications the buttons change instantly to show you the custom settings for the specific application.

There is also a “touch ring” that allows you to scroll or cycle through options. It can hold four settings. You click the button in the center of the ring to toggle through your settings. I haven’t used this feature much, but I’m sure it will be useful.

The tablet is very sensitive. I’m not a professional graphics designer, so I can’t give a lot of details on this aspect, but it is definitely more sensitive than my old tablet.

At the time I am writing this the Intuos4 website hasn’t been setup. As a result I am unable to download the bundled software, so I can’t review that yet.

I’ve never really used the mouse that came with my old tablet because I don’t like the feel of it. The mouse with this one has the same feeling, so I won’t be using it either. It is very nicely made, though.

Overall I am very happy with the Intuos4. It is definitely worth upgrading to the new tablet. You won’t be disappointed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    NEW PRICING!

These prices are much better than originally mentioned...

Four models will be introduced:
    * 4 x 6 inch small for $229 (originally $299)
    * 6 x 9 inch medium for $349 (originally $479)
    * 8 x 13 inch large for $469 (originally $999)
    * 12 x 19 extra large for $789 (originally $649, though this price was always considered an error)

And the bonus? Wacom lists the 8x13 model for $369 on their site in what is sure to be yet another pricing mistake. I placed an order for it in the hopes I get one, but I'm willing to bet the order will be canceled within the next day or two.