Thread: Gloat: Grizzly TS and mobile base

Gloat: Grizzly TS and mobile base

Hey fellow WWers. Thought I'd post a pic of the mobile base I made for the Grizzly 1023 tablesaw I got earlier this winter. Made use of the MS cashback deal at the time to buy the tablesaw. The mobile base is a little hefty, I probably should have used larger wheels. It will be interesting to see how the 6 wheel configuration will work. Thanks to other posters on this site for the inspiration on building a mobile base. This forum is great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like it will hold up to a typhoon!
    Are you going to build a storage area under the extension?

Yes, hopefully someday soon I'll get some storage built under there. I'd like to have some organized storage instead of the junk collect-all that it is now.

That's a fine looking mobile base that you built. It appears to be well thought out and well made!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Where did you get the castors for the base??

also, is there a formula for determining the weight capacity of the castors for a particular base.

Example: i need to make a base for my workbench. It's 9ft long 3inch thick, 46ich wide hard maple. weighs in around 350-400lbs. if i'm putting 4 castors on it, how much does each castor have to support.

4x -100lb rated castors
    or
    4x -400lb rated castors.

thanks guys.

matt

Matt, assuming you have even loading across your base each wheel would only need to support 100 pounds (assuming four wheels). I always recommend going above the needed weight. You need to account not only for the static weight of the saw, but also for any additional weight, and the dynamic stresses that can occur. I would recommend at least 150 pounds per wheel.