Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gloat and a question

I made some bottle stoppers out of cedar and I finished it with

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...=bowl%20finish

The smell is still pretty strong on it. It didn't change it at all...YET. It only been about 2 weeks. I won't know for sure anymore because I gave them away.

Maria!

LOML suggested after I explained your delema, (color preservation vs aroma preservation). finish the outside, and leave the inside unfinished. Just her 2C worth.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Neighbors View Post
    Here's an idea... but I can't guarantee it... to maybe retain the color for a longer time: (no help on the smell)
    There is a rattle-can Lacquer that you can purchase in photography supply stores and camera shops. It is formulated for spraying color photographs, to keep them from fading when exposed to light for long periods of time, by reducing the penetration of UV radiation. I'm not sure if it will work on wood, cedar in particular, but it might. Has anyone tried it?
    Haven't tried the photo lacquer on wood but my husband has for photo props. However, you will not retain any smell from the cedar if you use it. It smells like Banana oil...also, please use it in a well ventilated area. Not good for the sinuses, lung, liver and I am sure many other body parts. It will yellow over time and it will blush when spraying if it is too cold or to much humidity. This is the oil based version, not the water based spray.

Just as the color would fade over time with exposure to UV light, the effectiveness of the UV inhibitor also diminishes over time when it is exposed to UV light. The only real way to stop colors from fading is to limit the exposure to UV light. There are some marine grade finishes like spar varnish that also have UV protection, they will last longer than photo spray. The UV protection is also limited. The varnishes need to be reapplied periodically.

Hope this helps...Good luck!

Yoy can use this as a finish and it will retain the smell

http://www.texascedaroil.com/
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I have a Vic Wood box made of Huon Pine from Tasmania. Huon Pine is a very fragrant wood with an odor similar to red cedar. Vic included a very small cloth bag filled with fresh Huon Pine chips. The bag is inside the box and whenever the lid is removed the very fragrant smell is just as fresh as it was over 20 years ago when I received the box in a trade with Vic. Perhaps that would work if you decide to make some boxes from that very attractive wood.

Wally

Pith

Maria,

When the pith cracks and the bowl is dry, remove the pith and fill it with the instant coffee/epoxy mix. Finish turn, and people will wonder why it is not cracked.

I'm playing with cedar bowls now, I think I'll cloth bag some chips.

Bob

Has anyone tried DNA with cedar? I was using microwave oven with a lot of my bowls but a lot of them warped. Many on this site use DNA, so I gave it a try, so far it seems to be working out but I haven't tried it on softer woods.

i dont remember the turners name, but there is a famous turner who turns thin wet "goblets" and uses a very thin parting tool to make the wood warp the way they want, and make it look like a flower. i dont remember who it was though
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!