Thread: Jet Oscillating drum sander

Jet Oscillating drum sander

I'm seriously considering buying the Jet 22-44 ODS.
    Can anyone give me the benefit of their experience with this machine?
    I'll be using it in a one-man shop, not a major commercial enterprise. I just want to be able to deal with figured woods more effectively.
    Also, what's the best price you've seen?
    thanks

I have a full review of this machine with photos and video at the link below. I had concerns about how much the oscillating feature would really help but was very impressed with it. You can also turn the oscillating off for all or part of an operation.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/j2244oscrvu.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hintz View Post
    I have a full review of this machine with photos and video at the link below. I had concerns about how much the oscillating feature would really help but was very impressed with it. You can also turn the oscillating off for all or part of an operation.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/j2244oscrvu.html

Tom,
    Did you find that it tool lots more DC CFMs due to the wide area for suction? I don't think my current set up would handle it.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Bill,
    After sitting on the fence for 2 years trying to decide if I needed any kind of drum sander I bought the Jet OSC in February. So far I have been using it to flatten glued up panels & cabinet doors and have been very happy with the results. I am having an issue with the feed belt. It seems to have stretched more on one side which causes it to track to one side. I plan on taking it off and turning it side for side and seeing if that helps, if not I will be contacting Jet for a replacement. Other than the feed belt it was ready to go right out of the box. I am getting nice flat panels with no snipe, although I have not tried to sand anything wider than 20". The oscillating feature does an amazingly good job especially on cross grain situations. It is my belief that once Jets paten protection on the oscillating feature expires all drum sanders for all manufactures will come with the oscillating feature, its just a much nicer finish with less time with the ROS. As for $ I paid $1700 for mine, my dealer had it on special for their end of the woodworking season sale. Hope this helps.

Loren

I don't think it would need any extra DC horsepower than a plain drum sander. It is moving back and forth but it is still a drum sander. The hood does focus the DC power where it is needed so in that regard it is pretty efficient. If your DC keeps up with jointers or planers, it will certainly handle this sander.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Tom...nice review.
    -Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Thank you

Tom, great review and Loren thank you for your input.
    I decided to go ahead and buy the Jet. Spent this morning putting it together and hopefully I'll get it adjusted and running tomorrow ( a bunch of other projects may get in the way, though).
    What a great site this is. I really appreciate all the advice.
    Bill

Ive been looking at one of these in the 22-44 size for a while now. My 16-32 plus belonged to Columbus when he came over here, one of the first things he threw off the ship!! LOL Its old but it still gets the job done. When/if it goes I think the Jet is the one I will get.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.