Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Walnut table hutch - in progress

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Walnut table hutch - in progress

A month or so ago, I posted a sketch in the design forum asking for comments.

Well, I finally got going on this project and thought I would post some progress pics for those that may have an interest. I have several furniture projects over the years, and most were not an attempt to reproduce any particular period piece, but more a compilation of my thoughts. My skills, as little as they are, have been accumulated, as my Dad used to say, through the “school of hard knocks.” They could use some refining, and the knowledge I have gained from SMC has been substantial. I hope that I am putting some of it to good use.

This particular piece will replace an oak bookcase/secretary in our great room. I have had, for several years, a set of walnut legs from an old table. They are hand turned, and far from perfect. To make matters worse, in a past life, I had put poly on them. Stripping them was a nightmare!

The walnut for this project has been in the barn for several years, and to be honest, I don’t recall where I got it. Most of it is pretty rough and I am running into a lot of waste.

I am building this in three units, the table base, the drawer unit, and the hutch top.

This first post will show the original sketch (that is the entire set of plans!), the legs, resizing the legs so they are at least close to all being the same size, enjoying my LV BU Jack, and beading the aprons. This is the first project on which I have truly used some handtools. Just to make things more interesting, this is also the first time I have used the Domino.

More posts will follow to catch up to where I am in this build. Then, as I make progress, I will add to the thread. Thanks for looking, and feel free to comment – good or bad – or to make suggestions that may be helpful in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is the front apron after ripping for the drawer fronts. I used one piece of wood for the entire apron so the grain would match across the drawer fronts.

The other pics show the glue up of the table base, and the first drawer frame for the drawer unit that sits on top of the table.

Most importantly, I learned a couple of valuable lessons. I intended to mold the edges of the drawer frames after construction. Unfortunately, I failed to account for the misplaced dominos. I ended up rebuilding both frames.

This is where I am today. The table base and the drawers are glued up. The knobs on the drawers are actually the size that will be used on the larger drawers in the table. I have smaller 3/4" knobs on order for the smaller drawers.

And, the base frame for the drawer unit is complete with drawer stops, guides, and the aprons installed. However, the top frame of the unit is not attached, nor is the drawer unit attached to the tabletop. I will probably wait until all construction of the top hutch is done before I complete the assembly.

John,

It's looking GOOD..... Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. Keep us up-dated.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

These are more pics of the drawers with hand cut dovetails. I used poplar drawer sides. The other pics show the apron beading, the back of the drawer unit (which will be enclosed and have some vertical supports installed) and the front of the table base with the openings for the lower drawers.

Some of you may recall a thread I posted two or three months ago of my first dovetails. I did several thru dovetails for practice, but only one half blind. I got side tracked with some other events, including an ice storm, etc. So, these drawers are really only my second attempt at half blinds. They aren’t perfect, but I am pleased with them.

I installed drawer guides using an adaptation of Mark Singer's idea of having minimal contact with the drawer. These guides work great, and even with no wax on the bottom of the drawer sides, they open and close smoothly. Once I get the finish applied, I will wax the drawer bottoms.

Next will be the drawers for the table base. Once those are complete (hopefully by tomorrow), I will post pics of the drawers in place. I will spend some time sanding on the legs. Most of the sanding is done on the rest of the completed portions.

Then on to the hutch!!

John,
    Very beautiful indeed! Your drawers are a touch of perfection! Did you use a dovetail jig to cut them? If so, which one?

Brian, thanks for commenting. I need to get an update posted, even though turkey season got in the way. Been working on the finish on the hutch top.

The dovetails were handcut - thanks to the encouragement of Gary Zimmel, Mark Singer, and others here on the creek. This was my first project with handcuts, and I really enjoyed them. Sold my Keller, and gave my SIL my old PC jig. I am jigless!! And, never going back

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Sold my Keller, and gave my SIL my old PC jig. I am jigless!! And, never going back
    Im in awe of your bravery!! I just cant bring myself to sell my D4, not yet anyway!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Lookin' great, John!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks like this project is coming along very well.

Great job on the 1/2 blinds.

Thanks for taking the time to do a build post. I always seem to pick up a couple of tips.
    Keep the pics coming.
    Last edited by gary Zimmel; 03-21-2009 at 7:30 PM.

Hey Gary, so how was the trip to LV?? Used some of the new Blue Spruce chisels on the dovetails, but haven't received my new marker, skews and fishtail yet.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 03-21-2009 at 8:52 PM.

Always love a trip to LV John.

Just about kept my wallet in my pocket for the whole time.

You are making great time with those drawers if you are going to have the next two done by tomorrow.

GREAT looking dovetails on those drawers......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Thanks Von! They don't come easily for me yet, but I am enjoying them more. The first practice runs were a bit stressful.

John, those dovetails look excellent!

I received my Cosman DVD’s & book today!!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney