Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comments on my shop layout?

Comments on my shop layout?

See the attached PDF. The only thing that is actually in place right now is dust collector, but no pipes.

How does it look?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I wanna shop!!!!!!!!!!!!

That looks like a nice setup! Are you in the process of getting the shop up and running? How big is it in sq ft?

Smile

Good setup
    Ed.

Nice set up!! I especially like how effecient the duct runs are. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

shop layout

William, that looks really nice. Since you asked for comments, the only thing I might change is the router would be set into the counter by the Miter saw if you plan on routing long stuff and I would definitely drop the miter saw down to use the counter as additional support. If at all possible, I would put a toilet in the room where your sink is. I wish I could have done that. Maybe you don't have a drain for it, but just a thought. VERY nice setup. Russ

The shop is about 800sqft. 14 florescent 2x4 lights in a drop ceiling. When I built the home I had 9' ceilings added to the walk-out basement, ouch; but well worth it. The smaller room is my finishing room (less dust). I have a utility sink in there but it uses an above floor pump to move the water up to the house drain. The benches on the wall are not set yet. I also have a hollow mortiser that I need to add to the bench.

very nice setup!!

I can't tell if you inclosed your dust collector, I put mine outside the shop,
    sure cut the noise level down. Your setup looks GREAT.

Do you have Rolling tables set to the height of your infeed or outfeed tables. I was trying to cut a full sheet yesterday at the local woodworking shop and I needed assistance to cut it down. This has spurred me to find a way to bring home full sheets of plywood so I can use my track system to cut them down.

The layout looks pretty good. Just a question, though. How did you make the layout PDF? I'd like to be able to do something like that for my shop and be able to move the tools around and play with different layouts. My shop is pretty small so I have to be efficient with space use.

I would swap the location of the Jointer / Plainer with the Drill Press, Bandsaw and Router Table. In most cases when you are working with raw lumber it will be larger then it is by the time you use it on the DP, BS and RT. Remember that for the Jointer and Plainer you need the length of lumber in FRONT and BEHIND the Jointer and Plainer to use them so you will always be moving them around to accommodate the lumber. If you are going to plain an 8' piece of wood you will need somewhere around 20' to accomplish this at a min. When you plain shorter pieces you end up with more SNIP that you cut off ie higher waste of wood.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Prisbylla View Post
    The layout looks pretty good. Just a question, though. How did you make the layout PDF? I'd like to be able to do something like that for my shop and be able to move the tools around and play with different layouts. My shop is pretty small so I have to be efficient with space use.
    Michael, I used Visio for this with symbols I found on the internet (google Visio woodworking). Grizzly also has a nice shop layout web program on their site.

Updated layout. I removed the DC duct work for now. I really wanted to find a way that I could cut a 4x8 without moving my table saw. Let me know what you think of the new design. The bench that is next to the table saw is meant to store things under it, not on it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Good setup... Not sure how well it will work in actual use, but it looks good on paper...

I am VERY confused by one thing in your picture. It looks like your air comrpessor is on the bottom step on the staircase. Of do the stairs go the other way? (Sorry, my glasses are in the other room).
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I have the same puzzlement about the air compressor. I also thought that the bottom of the stairs was at the right end, by that door. Is it actually the other way around? Can you fit the DC under there also and free up space?

I'm not at all keen on that Table saw layout. It looks very crowded and locked into a corner. I like having free space on the right side of my TS, and you've got the right side smack up against that bench.

Also, it looks very tight in the drawing between the Jointer and the Router table. what is the gap there?

I actually like the first layout more... Hmm, I see that "Electronics" bench. Can you move that out? I wouldn't think that sawdust and electronics mix.
    Last edited by Art Mulder; 04-09-2009 at 8:26 AM.
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    I have the same puzzlement about the air compressor. I also thought that the bottom of the stairs was at the right end, by that door. Is it actually the other way around? Can you fit the DC under there also and free up space?

I'm not at all keen on that Table saw layout. It looks very crowded and locked into a corner. I like having free space on the right side of my TS, and you've got the right side smack up against that bench.

Also, it looks very tight in the drawing between the Jointer and the Router table. what is the gap there?

I actually like the first layout more... Hmm, I see that "Electronics" bench. Can you move that out? I wouldn't think that sawdust and electronics mix.
    My cheapo shop radio can attest to that!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...