Thread: Chess board finish

Chess board finish

First post! This is a progress shot of a chess board project. It is rosewood and curly maple.

I am interested in using something that will enhance the chatoyance of the maple without making it too dark. I would like water white but I know that the grain will not pop as much.

I'm toying with the idea of Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish but I would like to know just how much darker it will make the curly maple.

Does anyone have any before and after pictures of this finish on maple?

Of course I'm open to suggestions, especially from any members who specialize in chessboards.

BTW, I'm planning another board in wenge and maple.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Meadors; 03-19-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added info

>> Does anyone have any before and after pictures of this finish on maple?

Why don't you just apply some finishes to some of your scrap maple and see what you like. You're the only one who knows what you want. While you're at it, test finish some of the walnut.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    >> Does anyone have any before and after pictures of this finish on maple?

Why don't you just apply some finishes to some of your scrap maple and see what you like. You're the only one who knows what you want. While you're at it, test finish some of the walnut.

That's true. I was hoping to narrow my choices for the purpose of saving cash. I really like what I read about Waterlox for instance, and I hear about it on the forum quite a bit. However, before I buy a quart I may not use, I thought someone on this forum might have a couple of things that they had done with only Waterlox vs. something like CAB-acrylic lacquer.

Looking at the chess boards on www.houseofstaunton.com, it appears that they are able to really hold a light finish on the maple.

I sprayed some cheap rattle-can lacquer on a sample last night and I was suprised at how much it darkened it. I'm suspicious that this maple may be soft maple. Though stock was 50+ years old.