Thread: Newbie Needs Help

Newbie Needs Help

Hello all,

I am really interested in hand tool woodworking, but am having trouble finding web resources to learn more about tools and order of importance. So, I was wondering if you all would be so kind as to direct me to threads on this forum (or other web resources) that would tell me:

1) What the various tools do (planes -- the difference between standard and low-angle, different chisels, rasps, bores, etc.)

2) What is the order for a newbie to be acquiring these tools, and which planes are most important to get first.

I know that I will have to start small, but eventually I am interested in various furniture projects -- if that helps the search at all.

Thank you all in advance for your replies!

Jason

Buy this book:

Then buy the tools you need for each project you take on.

Welcome to SMC.

I think your questions are broad in scope, probably too broad. SMC already has a wealth of info answering your quetions. Just go to the search utilty and search on various aspects of your interests. You will find info on planes, chisels, dvd's books, other websites, etc. All the info is already here.

Welcome, Jason. One of our members, Zahid, has collected some of the wisdom of past threads. When you go to "Neanderthal Haven" page it is near the top, or click here:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=103805

Also, I started with Andy Rae's book "Choosing and Using Hand Tools". Amazon has some used copies for under $9 plus $4 shipping.

Have fun. We're glad you are here!

Brian Kent
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Chris Schwartz has a book out on handtools; it is excellent.

Taunton Press has an excellent handtool publication; it is essentially an oversized magazine and has exactly the kind of info you are looking for.

As for periodicals, Woodworking Magazine would be a good bet.

Google searches will get you sources to buy the above.

-TH

I have a website dedicated in part to new hand tool users, but I would highly recommend a book.

While a group of people like we have on SawmillCreek could easily produce a proper online work, it hasn't yet happened. A lot of guys here are knowledgeable enough to write a decent book themselves if they could stop woodworking long enough.

One of the books above would be a great place to get a leg up and then continue online doing your research. Otherwise, you will be doing a lot of sorting through useless (to you) information.

That said, you might check out the Full Chisel Blog and the Way of the Galoot podcast.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions, I pick up a few of these books and get to it!

I cannot find a tool book by Christopher Schwarz. I see the Workbench book but no hand tool book. Could someone please direct me to the right place?

Thanks again,
    Jason

If I may, only buy tools as your next project requires. Otherwise you will find that you buy tools you don't need, or tools that are inappropriate for the task at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Weaver View Post
    Thank you all for your help and suggestions, I pick up a few of these books and get to it!

I cannot find a tool book by Christopher Schwarz. I see the Workbench book but no hand tool book. Could someone please direct me to the right place?

Thanks again,
    Jason
    Here it is -- you couldn't find it because it turns out that Scwarz isn't listed as the author; it is attributed to the PW editors:

http://www.woodworkersbookshop.com/p...267/hand-tools

The FWW booklet is here; at $9 it is a good deal:
    http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore...ls-017010.html

There are a number of "getting started" features on the Finewoodworking site; check it out if you haven't already.

-TH