Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performax 22-44 Plus - First Looks

Performax 22-44 Plus - First Looks

Well, I finally got a chance to open up the boxes for the 22-44 this afternoon after getting the lawn cut for the first time in more than two weeks...and just before the thunder storms arrived. 'Nothin' like putting a tool together in the shop while the weather outside rages! Here are my observations and a few pictures (of course!) for your edification.

Since I opted to build my own cabinet for this 200+ lb beast, my router table got the nod as a temporary home for assembly and testing. This is not generally a tool to try and lift yourself unless you are the Hulk! After cutting part of the box away and rolling said box on its side, I was able to slide the heavy cast iron assembly/motor onto the table surface and remove the rest of the packaging. Since I could not easily lift it out of the styrofoam, I rotated the machine on its side and back to facilitate this process. I would not have been able to do this if I had to lift the tool onto the factory or a shop-built base from the floor.

Assembly of the sander is very straight-forward. In fact, it's a piece of cake. There are four bolts that are used to place the separately packaged conveyor assembly onto the tool...and the necessary allen wrench is provided in the package. Other than attaching the depth adjustment wheel, plugging the motor into the control unit and attaching the optional infeed/outfeed tables, there is nothing else to do except check for necessary adjustments and make sawdust. Speaking of adjustments, this machine was virtually perfect out of the box! I only had to zero the depth gauge by simply lowering the drum fully to the conveyor and losening one bolt with a 1/2" socket. As it was, I double checked this after making a "test cut" with my chunk of "play poplar" left over from the Festool extravaganza last November.

First Impressions:
    • Very heavy and sturdy
    • Well designed for simple assembly and use
    • No deflection of the drum arm unless a LOT of pressure is applied from above...unlikely in real use
    • Quiet and smooth operation
    • Independent controls for the drum motor and conveyor assembly are conveniently located, with the latter completely variable speed from zero up to 10' per minute
    • Nice, pleasant ivory color which goes nicely with Jet and Mini Max gear...
    • Included 80 grit wrap is effcient with stock removal, although somewhat agressive for pre-finish sanding. I believe that 100 grit and 120 grit paper will be necessary to fully appreciate this machine
    • Dust collection is NOT optional on these tools...you can generate a lot of flour very quickly. Be sure to check your filters frequently in that respect and I also suggest you use filtration that is sub-micron if at all possible
    • No negatives so far...
    Pictures:
    1. Fresh off the truck...
    2. Unboxing the heavy main unit
    3. Included in the box. Not shown is the conveyor assembly boxed separately as well as the optional infeed/outfeed tables
    4. Conveyor installed
    5. First test of the tool!
    Pictures continued in the next post
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-30-2004 at 9:01 PM.

Pictures Continued....
    1. Adjusting the depth guage
    2. Installing the optional infeed and outfeed tables
    3. Ready to rock!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cool! Yup, looks like you're ready to rock 'n roll there, Jim. If it's anything like my Delta, you're right about getting some finer sandpaper for more delicate work. I'm sure I don't have to tell you about taking very, VERY light passes, as well. We'll be looking for some actual "in-use" reports in the very near future! Congrats!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Thumbs up

Congrats Jim!
    Very Nice job on the pics
    Thats one nice tool !
    Let the sawdust fly!
    Jim K

Jim, a great job on a review of the 22-44. You beat me to it! I just brought mine home. I bought the model with the cabinet base. It has the built in casters that raise and lower with the foot pedal.

The only drawback I have found so far, is not having paper finer than 150 grit available. I made a couple of calls to Norton abrasives, they assured me that they have some up to 400 grit.

Happy sanding.....what a time saver!!

Jim, I know you will like it as well as I like my smaller unit (16-32) and by hte way Dave, Performax sells 220 grit for the 16-32 in pre-cut and bulk rolls.

Thanks for the review, especially the deflection test That was really my main concern about that unit. Is the motor a 220v or 110v?
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Outstanding looking outfit. Hope it saves you a bunch of time sanding.
    Looks like you will get many years of service out of the machine
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Enjoy it Jim, my friend has the 16-32 and we both love using it. Does a great job.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bartley
    JimThe only drawback I have found so far, is not having paper finer than 150 grit available. I made a couple of calls to Norton abrasives, they assured me that they have some up to 400 grit.
    That's not a problem...these are not finishing machines and from many, many user reports I've read over the past few years, the finer grits gum up very fast which essentially kills the pleasure and "time savings". Sanding to 150 and finishing with a ROS is not a horrible thing and you are sure to get rid of any grit marks/scratches that way, too.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ballent
    Is the motor a 220v or 110v?
    The Performax sanders are 120v only...and require a 20 amp "dedicated" circuit. By dedicated, I mean nothing else using it concurrently when you are sanding.
    --

Jim,

Have you tried sanding anything wider than 22" yet?

I figure that will be the true test.

Have to say I love mine!! The greatest thing is the flat removal. No valleys as often seen when removing a lot with an ROS or portable belt sander. Micro control on depth of removal. And times savings.

It will take some practice getting use to. 1) I find 120 grit is smallest necessary as finer doesn't seem to get rid of fine lines. ROS finish is a must. 2) practice with depth of cut. It will deflect if too much is taken off, especially if using outer portion of drum. 3) Cloth stretches and must be retightened after first few minutes. The change in sound will tell you. If you do not tighten, it will overlap and burn. 4) buy by unmarked roll, 66yds, cheapest. I marked my bench as to length and made a cutting template for angle.

A big congrats to you Jim

I'm sure this new piece will make an enjoyable hobby even more enjoyable. Thanks for the great tutorial on setting up etc; it makes me want to get one. Now I'm mad at you. Only kidding. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Boy that sure looks nice Jim! Glad to hear that you like it. It must have been fun to assemble it while the rainstorm raged on!