Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for a new jig saw

Time for a new jig saw

Welp, my second-hand B&D jig saw has bit the dust in typical Murphy's law fashion. I need one for a current project. Any reccomendations on a good jig saw? I am leaning towards PC because I like the other tools I have by them.

Thanks!!

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

The "Trion" from Festool. The absolute BEST jigsaw I've ever used and, most probably, the last one I'll ever have to purchase! Heavy duty, beautiful cuts, great dust extraction, ergonomic...I could go on. Contact our own Bob Marino if interested!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I went with the Bosch barrel grip as my replacement and enjoy using it. I find it much easier to maneuver than the top handle style. Just my opinion.

1584AVSK Kit

Brian

I really like my two year old Bosch (head and shoulders better than my old Skil). It would have been nice to wait since they (Bosch) just upgraded and the features they added seem like they bring it up to the Festool feature list. Of course Festool gets very good reviews. Milwaukee also makes a very good jig saw that has received at least Workbench mag. top tool award (a couple years ago). One thing I'd recommend is too check out the difference between barrel grip and the regular handle. Some people really like the barrel grip.

Good luck,
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Bosch makes a very nice jig saw.

Porter cable's is nice as well.
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

I should note that I have not used the Porter Cable saws and have not heard anything bad about them.
    I have the Bosch 1590, top-handled jigsaw and love it. I know it's a little pricey but really not that bad for a tool that will obviously last longer than I have on this earth.
    I have a review with photos of the features at the link below.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/b1590rvu.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    The "Trion" from Festool. The absolute BEST jigsaw I've ever used and, most probably, the last one I'll ever have to purchase! Heavy duty, beautiful cuts, great dust extraction, ergonomic...I could go on. Contact our own Bob Marino if interested!
    I agree completely with John. Treat yourself to a Festool jigsaw and you will never regret the decision. It cost more but the extra cost is well justified.

Milwaukee, top or body grip, and supposedly made by bosch
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Festool, Metabo, and Bosch. In this rush for everything Festool the Metabo products tend to get the short shift. Too bad really as they're extreemly good. The new Bosch is a very nice upgrade to the previous models (blade change, stability, etc) but there are still some of the older models available for sale; cheap!

I don't want to start up any political arguments, but I am trying to avoid purchasing German products, if possible. So Bosch and Festool are pretty much out.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I can also recommend the Festool Trion jigsaw. Very smooth operation, toolless blade change, dust collection, CP guide which allows (almost) perfect angles, unique splinter guard, ...
    BTW, one of my woodworking buddies from Germany, Dietrich, had the chance to compare the new Bosch to the Festool Trion jigsaw.
    Those are his comments:
    Both are very powerful, the Bosch seems to be a little
    bit faster when sawing 30 mm birch ply. The blade change of the Bosch is more comfortable (it "throws" out the blade), the adjustment of the guide as well. The base of the Bosch saw can be set at different angles without using tools but there's some play within the 90° setting. The metal gear box of the Bosch gets quite hot even after using it for 10 min. The Festool is way better
    at cutting thick materials (80 mm beech and 120 mm pine). The CP guide isn't as comfortable to adjust as the Bosch guide but it's way more precise.

Hope this helps,

Christian
    Last edited by Christian Aufreiter; 07-19-2004 at 1:57 PM.
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

I hate to jump in with a negative Dan, but I would stay away from the Dewalt 313 unless you're planning to use it on material no thicker than 1/2. I've had mine for about 3 years now and although the power is OK even after trying the best blades I could find, it cuts on an angle everytime. I've also read others that have experienced the same problem. I swear everytime I use it!

Shelley

I hate the Bosch model with the screw-top blade removal. Seems very cheezy. Other models seems OK though. Saw a Metabo at the tool shop that seemed well built.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages
    I don't want to start up any political arguments, but I am trying to avoid purchasing German products, if possible. So Bosch and Festool are pretty much out.

Dan
    From Atlas Copco website:

Atlas Copco is a global industrial group headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden. The Group, which was founded already in 1873, employs today close to 26 000 people and manufactures products in 17 countries on five continents.

From Milwaukee Electric website:

A Company Within the Atlas Copco Group

Dan,
    Understand and appreciate your patriotism, but in today's world it is a pretty fuzzy proposition. IMHO, the best thing to do is reward the best builders with your purchases and, by voting with your dollars, you encourage the US manufacturers to improve their products. It has improved US automobile quality and it can work in other markets. Don't reward anybody for making mediocre products. Again, IMHO.

BTW, the newest Bosch, which I have and like, has a quick release for the blade and added blade guide, but not in a barrel grip just yet. Now Bosch is basically catching up to Festool. Like the others, I suggest looking at the offerings with barrel grips. I don't have one but it sometimes seems like it might be easier to use. Most who have them seem to like them.

Greg

I really like my Milwaukee 6266.
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."