Thread: Un-expected phone call

Un-expected phone call

So I'm working in the shop this afternoon after traveling the last 2 weeks and the phone rings. When I answer, the voice says, "this is ---- ------ from the US Department of State, can I speak to Perry".

That will get your attention.

After I catch my breathe, he says he is looking for hand made American crafts, that can be used for gifts for visiting VIP's from other countries. Because it sounded like a scam, I almost hung up on him. But it turns out he had seen some of my little boxes that are sold in the gift shop of the Smithsonian's Renwick Gallery in DC and wanted to see images of other work that I do. We'll see what happens.

You just never know who might be on the phone!

Perry

Very kewel, Perry! Your work is outstanding and a nice portion of it is perfect for "packable" gifts. I hope you get some nice orders from these folks!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Perry,
    That's definitely not your run of the mill phone call. What a tribute to your work!
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Wow - that is really cool! Congrats - I hope your sales suddenly increase!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Your work is awesome. Someone at the State Dept. has good taste. Two thumbs up!

Better choice in gifts

Your turnings would certainly make a more thoughtful gift than a 25 pack of old DVD's
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post

You just never know who might be on the phone!

Perry
    True enough. A few years ago, I had a great conversation with Diane Keaton who called to order a few things for her new home. Her zip... 90210 of course.

I'm just half way through an order for Disney - 51 inlaid wall mirrors for a hotel renovation.

So, Perry. Say hello to Mrs. Clinton for us!!!!
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Perry --we ain't one bit surprized----you do make some real nice stuff.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Thanks for the kind words.

There must be something about this time of year for me. Last year, about this time, I got a call from a local charity about designing a special box honoring a very special internationally respected man. The design/production planning/ marketing plan is still on going. If it goes thru, it's about a years worth of business. I was working on the first very small trial production run of those boxes when I got the phone call today.

Perry

Blog Entries
    When the British Prime Minister visited, he gave President Obama a hand made pen from wood from the sister ship to the resolute to go with the Resolute desk in the oval office. As the report goes, our President didn't have anything nice to give as a return gift. I would suspect that might be the driving force behind your phone call.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by John Fricke View Post
    Your turnings would certainly make a more thoughtful gift than a 25 pack of old DVD's
    John beat me to it.

Congrats Perry! Good call (no pun intended) on picking up the phone, and staying on the line.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Blog Entries
    Congrats Perry

It's times like those where you can step back and really smell the roses. Enjoy the Glow
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

The only time the government sent someone to me was to confiscate anticommunist flyers and to have a "chat" with me.

Congratulations, on your achievement. That is really awesome and goes to show that there are so many treasures being made here and now.

this goes along with the thread i started about detroit's downfall and the beatiful old buildings that are abandoned...

at one time the things we built were intended to display the skill of our craftsmen to the world. engineering and artistic and national pride all rolled into one, that kinda thing. if someone working for the government now is picking up on that idea again, good for them. they should be commended for it. seems like most people have forgotten that sort of thing.