Thread: Planer Knife Setting Jigs

Planer Knife Setting Jigs

I'm steadily progressing along on my Parks planer restoration. Being an old machine, it doesn't have any aids for setting the knives, even jack screws like my jointer and newer Parks machines. I've been thinking about ordering this set of jigs from Hartville Tool. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I have a set of Planer Pals for my 15" Jet and they work OK. I also have the factory jig and it too is OK but you need three hands or a jig to hold the jig. The Planer Pals got a better writeup that the one that you are looking at the last time I saw them reviewed. You might want to check out planer knife setting jigs reviewed.

CPeter

I do not recommend ANY magnetic knife jigs. As soon as you start to tighten the screws,the knives break loose from the magnets. I recommend you bite the bullet and get the Dispoz-a-Blade setup. Knives are cheaper per edge than sharpening fees,plus,after a few grinds,your knives are too narrow,and you've got expensive knives to grind. Changing blades is about 15 min. with this setup. You'll never be sorry.

The weak point in the old Parks planers was the power feed gearbox always breaking down. Why,I don't know.Back in the old days,Parks was about the only game in town,except for Belsaw. I had a beat up old parks with a real jack leg substitute power feed cobbled together by someone.

Get a dial indicator and make a mount like Bob Vaughn. Here is the one I made:

Planer Knife Setting Jig

Greetings From NC!
    Matt,
    Below are a couple of photos of my knife setting gauge. The main difference between my version and others shown, is the curved feet of the base to match the arc of my cutterhead and the inclusion of 4 rare earth magnets for holding the gauge to the cutterhead. To achieve the curved feet, I used a compass to draw the radius of the cutterhead on a piece of aluminum flashing - carefully cutting the arc. I then traced the arc to my gauge blank and went to work on the bandsaw. The most useful addition to my gauge are the rare earth magnets recessed into holes in the base. These magnets really hold the gauge to the cutterhead, leaving both hands free for adjustments and tightening of the knife gibs. Total cost of the gauge is a scrap of walnut, a $10.00 Enco dial indicator, $2.00 for magnets and a screw and wingnut from the coffee can stash of assorted hardware - $12.00 to $15.00. The result is a functional setup tool with tolerances within .001 - .002 inch.

Also necessary would be a 'crows foot' device for setting the infeed/outfeed rollers, chip breaker, and pressure bar. Shown on the left in this photo.

Here's a link the OWWM bulletin board with some additional discussion on knife setting for old planers.

http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?t=32371&highlight=

Respectfully,
    Tom Wassack
    Asheboro, NC
    Last edited by Tom Wassack; 03-11-2009 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Added additional link...