Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 66 Refurb

66 Refurb

This Powermatic 66 will be getting a facelift. We will be regrinding the top, adding a new switch and of course a new paint job.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Take good care of her Chris Also, snap a picture of the top with a straightedge on to show the "before" and "after" of the flatness. Cannot wait to see what you guys do to clean her up...

Matt I checked your table for flatness. The front right corner check out .025 and the back left corner was out .030. Not good if you expect to get a good cut from the saw. This is a 1984 Powermatic 66 and we will grind the top and ext wings on the original grinder that ground this saw over 20 years ago in McMinnville, TN. When we get finished it will be back to factory specs. Below are the pics I took when checking the flatness of the top.

Chris

Cool stuff!! Can you show us some pics on the grinder, Chris?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

5. Yeah - that would be really cool to see the Blanchard grinder in action. Also, Chris when I put my "paltry" 24" straightedge on the saw right down the middle of the opening on the main table, it looked out at least 1/16 of an inch (ouch)!!!

I will post some pics of your top while its being ground. Its a 84" dia. chuck, 150hp machine. I promise it will only hurt just a second, it will feel like a pinch. I promise we will make her brand new!!

Chris

Blog Entries
    That's a little bigger than the 36" Blanchard that we have at the shop. Pics would be cool
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

COOL I will have to stay tuned here!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Powermatic 66

I got a saw similar to this at an auction. Did not pay too much so I was expecting some problems. First the arbor run out is .004. Is this too much. If it is too much can anything be done about it. How can I tell if the arbor bearings need to be replaced. The bearings sound ok when I give them a spin by hand.

Do know what year the saw was manufactured?

Chris

11. Hah, just a pinch huh... You have to shoot some pics of that top on that grinder. Wow, 84" and 150 hp!

Powermatic 66

Hi Chris, not sure of the age, the serial number is 89661063. So that could be a 1989 saw.

/Cam

Cam that should be a 1989 model 66 and it was the 1063 made that year.

How did you check the arbor?

Chris

Powermatic 66

Hi Chris, I was travelling for a few days so just getting around to this now. Here is a picture of how I measured the arbour run out. Just set the dial guage up close to 90 degrees to the arbor face then turn the arbor slowly. The total run out measured is .004".

I am starting to think this is too much since my old Beaver Lumber saw has a run out of .0005".

Someday I will have to invest in a magnetic base but the stick does the job for now.

/Cam

I would try changing the bearings. What is the reading when you have a saw blade mounted on the arbor. Much worse I would assume.

Chris