Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clamp Marks

Question Clamp Marks

Recently I bought some Jorgensen F type clamps and decided it would be a good idea to buy the optional orange plastic pads for the jaws. Here is the problem. When I use the clamps on a project, the plastic pads leave a dark mark on the wood surface. It looks like an oil spot...very strange. The spots are difficult to sand out but I haven't noticed any problems at finishing time.

Anybody else experience this? If so, what causes it? I will try to ask my plastic engineer buddy the next time I see him...if I remember!
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

I've had that happen. It's stuff that leaches out of the plastic. I've found it usually sands off easily, and it will go away after a while.

You might want to try scrap wood between the wood and the clamps.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

I just sand it off

Some call me cheap, but never a *Leach*! I epoxied pieces of that rubbery refrigerator magnet stuff to 1/8" hardboard for clamp pads. They stay put and don't leave a mark on my work!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Yeah, that happened to me. It is pretty irritating. The things don't work for their intended purpose.

At a local hardware store, I found some sheet rubber about 1/8" thick. I cut pads from it, and glued them to the clamps with Gorrilla glue.

"I epoxied pieces of that rubbery refrigerator magnet stuff to 1/8" hardboard..."

That's why god gave us magnets in the first place isn't it?
    David DeCristoforo

I use the small packs of self adhesive felt you can get at the Box stores.. etc. just cut a small square and adhere it on. Then trim with a pair of shop scissors. I used to line vise jaws with it but swithced to basswood for that job.

Sarge..

I usually just sand it out, but I like some of the ideas posted here... I tried gluing some of my own wooden pads on but over time they all broke off. I need better glue.

Blog Entries
    This is a well known problem with Jorgie plastic pads. Adjustable Clamp Co. has chosen not to address this as a problem. DNA or mineral spirits will take the marks out if you are at a point in the project where you don't want to sand that deep.

I junked the pads and dipped the ends in that plastic dip you normally use on the handles of tools; pliers and such. It's about $8 a can and I did a dozen or so clamps and have plenty left plus, no marks. I also used it on my Bessy mighty-minis. I also have a coffee can full of approx. 1" x 2" pieces of 1/8" luan that I use for surface protection when I am putting on a lot of pressure.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

plastic is made from Petroleum. (oil)
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

This is not a problem ONLY with the Adjustable Clamp Company.

I get the same marks from the plastic pads on kreg clamps. Only time I have seen it is when I had left wood in the clamp for a LONG time. I think this comes to light with the adjustable clamp co as you would leave wood in their clamps for a long time.

Great ideas and solutions to the problem in this post.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

easy solution, put some good duct tape on the pad surface.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Same problem with the Stanley-Bailey pipe clamps, too.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Bessey clamps, too.

First things that goes in the trash bucket when new clamps arrive are the plastic "protectors". There's unually more than enough pieces of scrap lying around that can be used as pads to prevent clamp indentations.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA