Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloat or garbage, I can't decide

Gloat or garbage, I can't decide

A man from my church had a stroke, and is not doing it well. His kids were cleaning out a storage shed and were going to toss these out. A volunteer who was helping clean up brought them to me. There are thousands of these diamonds. There are a large variety of domestic and exotic woods. I have no idea what he was going to do with them, and because they are only 1/8" thick, I'm not sure I can do much with them. Any Ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

looks like a seggy project to me

Bill

You could do some pretty elaborate segmented pieces!

Dare I mention the f word here?

I can see some nifty mosaic type work with lots of diamonds from lovely woods.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

yeah, same as what the others said. Segmenting is about the only thing. That or leveling any uneven tables you might have.

Jewlery .. finger rings segments for bangels earrings and the likes...

i would jump with joy if i cahed that horde... (dooing a lot of small stuff right now)
    Rasmus Petersen - woodturning.dk.
    Itīs not a failure itīs a design opportunity

I like the idea of jewelry. As for segmenting, I don't know how much I can do because they are so thin. I thought of some platter stuff, but I don't know how well it would work especially on a lathe with a 10" swing. I gave up about 1/3 of the load because I don't have any place to put it. They were species like cottonwood, oak and maple. There were many bottles of maple, and I only kept two. One plain grain, and one Birdseye. I kept most of the exotics, most of which I had never seen or heard of before. I'll have to try a few things. Could get interesting!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I would think they would make some neat trim on serving trays, small tables, all kinds of f--twork. Those are one of those things I would grab onto and than they would sit on my shelf until my kids were cleaning out my stuff after I've gone to the big workshop in the sky!

First thing that came to mind was a seggy project. Use the thin pieces to contrast between thicker woods.

Glue 'em into cubes for turning bottle stoppers?

The first thought that came to mind is "inlay". Probably for flat work.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Splines in Picture frames?

Brian,
    Potential for a segmented sculptural piece with only the I.D. turned, all pointy on the O.D., possible closed segs in the smaller dia. areas and open segs in larger dia. areas. Might have to build it one seg at a time like we used to do open seg pieces. Might want to recover the pieces you gave away, for practice. I can hardly wait to see it.
    Richard in Wimberley

Like Brian said and Dewey Torres if he reads this post, INLAY. I'm sure you could come up with some cool designs to put as trim on a table top or something. I know it's not turning work but still

glue some together on a waste block and turn a circle to inlay into the bottom of a bowl or platter.