Thread: Advice on new cedar

Advice on new cedar

I've just recently been given some fairly large, maybe 20 to 24 inches in diameter, aromatic cedar logs that were felled last week. I intend to have then sawn into lumber for future projects.

Having no experience with new lumber whatsoever, but anxious to make something out of the cedar, I'm wondering how long I should air dry the wood before using it.

I've read other threads hereabouts that suggests stacking and splintering the lumber. Should I assume that applies to aromatic cedar as well? Indoors or out? I have sufficient storage to stack it indoors. Some of my storage is in the attic of my shop, metal roof, uninsulated. Is this appropriate storage for drying cedar?

What dimensions on the lumber? I assume four quarters, but I'm certain that many of my projects will be small boxes and such that will require half-inch or less. Should I go with four quarters and expect to resaw? What can most sawmills do?

Lots of questions and no answers.

Ron
    This above all - To thine own self be true. Wm Shakespear - Hamlet

My experience

on the subject is limited to a big batch of cherry that I had sawn into 4/4 boards about 6' long. Its been stacked and stickered for about 6 months in my shop ... which as everyone by now knows is a portion of my horse stable aisle. Its subject to every possible change in temp and humidity. I put a fan on low speed and its been running 24x7 the entire time. It seems to be slowly drying straight and true.

I would cut it into 4/4 stock, stack it and sticker it .. but I think I might avoid putting it into the attic under an uninsulated roof. Down here in the south them temps up there could be awesome and the if it dries too quickly there'll be lots of end checking I'm sure. Oh, forgot to mention, be sure to put something on the ends of the boards to seal them. In the absence of a specific product for that purpose, a left over can of house paint will do.

There are others here on the Creek who have a lot of experience at this .. Dominic Greco is one that comes to mind ... perhaps they'll come forth with the real stuff.

Good Luck!

I tried this with the pecan trees I cut down to build my house...

It didn't help that the "sawmill" that cut the logs (only one around, and I couldn't find a local woodmizer guy) let them sit, unstacked, in a pile in the sun for a couple days before I could pick them up.

When I got them home, many were already warped, but I stacked and stickered them in my attic although I have since been told the attic may be too hot.

Lesson learned:

I'll never do this again with pecan. The wood is just too inexpensive to buy to justify all of the work, and I got poor results. I have 4 more trees to cut down in the next two years, and when I do, I will advertise on this board for any interested DFW area wood turners to come and take all they want.

Anchorseal is a wonderful product to prevent end checking. I highly recommend it.

Don't go to a sawmill that specializes in turning old telephone poles into truck beds. I asked for 4/4, and got everything from 1/2 inch to 2 inches.

Get a woodmizer guy to cut your wood into lumber.

Stack and sticker it immediately. I am told it needs to dry one year per inch.

I had visions of making a piece of furniture "from the trees I had to cut down to build my house". I don't think I will be able to make anything larger than a jewelry box out of it. A large waste of time and money for a bunch of expensive firewood.

Having said all of that, if you have cedar that wide, I say find a woodmizer guy and go for it. Do it asap, or you may have beetles in it like I had in mine.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style