Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying my first Lathe

Buying my first Lathe

Ok, first I would like to say thanks to everyone, I have learned a lot just by reading the message board.
    So, I am looking to buy my first lathe and get started turning some pens to start with, and probably other items down the road. But I have a few questions, on what to look for in a lathe etc.. Trying to stay in a budget, what would you consider a good lathe to learn on but not out grow in a short time?
    I would like to keep my spending on a lathe under $250.00
    I have looked at these:
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?O...Select=Details
    http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLPLUS.html
    http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLPRO.html
    http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLPROVS.html
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=65345
    Is it better to have a VS lathe? What is this difference between a MT#1 and MT#2, it their a benefit to have one over the other?

Also, if I was to find a used lathe, is their anything to look for that could be wrong with it? So I know its in good working order
    Again thanks to everyone’s help, hopefully I will be turning soon.

Jay

Jay,

This is a frequent topic of discussion. If space were not a factor, I'd consider this HF lathe over the HF lathe you linked to: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706. For pens and spindle work, it'll serve you well. On sale (and with a 20% off coupon) you can get it for well under the $250 limit you set. Note: You can turn small bowls with this lathe. Just DON"T expect to turn a large out of balance blank. The lowest speed is too fast for that.

The advantage of #2 MT is that your accessories will more likely fit your new lathe when you upgrade. In addition, it's easier to find accessories in #2 MT than in #1 MT.

Please not: I didn't say anything about the other lathes you linked to. I'm only comparing the one HF lathe with the other.

Good luck!

Jay,

I have the PSI Turncrafter Pro and really like it. I got the "pen making starter set" for xmas and was able to turn a pen that day.

You're going to get a bunch of JET recomendations... but IMHO the PSI is a great starter lathe.

~Brian

Jay,
    I started with the Turncrafter Plus. It is a nice little lathe and I have made maybe 100 pens on the little thing with no problems. For the price, I don't think you can go wrong for small turnings. The variable-speed is nice but I'm finding out that it is not as a necessity as I once thought it was. For making pens, bottle stoppers, Christmas ornaments, bird houses, etc. it is quite adequate. You could even make small bowls and boxes but being a table top unit you would not want to, nor be able to mount anything of any size or weight. I mounted a G3 chuck on it once and just turned it on and could tell that the weight of just the empty chuck was putting quite a strain on the little unit. I would limit my bowl and such like turnings to faceplate work.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Smith View Post
    I mounted a G3 chuck on it once and just turned it on and could tell that the weight of just the empty chuck was putting quite a strain on the little unit. I would limit my bowl and such like turnings to faceplate work.
    I turned this 9 inch bowl this weekend on my Turncrafter Plus this weekend..

I use a Nova Precision Midi chuck with no problems... I wouldn't want to turn anything bigger, but for most mini/midi lathes you'll have the same limits on size.

~Brian

Location needed in your profile Jay

I've little experience on the lathe, and won't comment on the lathes you suggested other than to say - careful consider what projects look appealing to you and choose appropriately. Buying now to upgrade again in a few months is MUCH more expensive than waiting a bit and getting something that will satisfy your needs into the relatively foreseeable future.

Good luck and welcome to the vortex

mike

I wanted to turn pens so I began shopping around for a lathe. My local WoodCraft did not have any minis in stock but told me a new Nova was coming out real soon. I ended up buying it. 2 years later I bought a 3520B.

Still haven't made a pen.

Burt

Okay, I won't make a Jet reccomendation, mostly since it's out of your price range. I will make the comment that the #2 Morse Taper is more common than a MT #1. In the future, if you decide to upgrade to a midi, the chances are better your accessories will follow. As you will find out, the lathe is the cheaper part of you investment....... You won't have to buy a set of new MT #2 accessories. And since the MT #2 is more popular, you'll be able to get more stuff. I had a Sears lathe, and none of the MT #1 is usable. You can get a MT #2 to MT #1 adapter, but may as well buy new stuff.

Just my .02

Jay - Welcome to the Creek! Finding the right lathe can be a challenge! Just have fun with it!

Lots of great advice so far - hope it helps! Have to agree with Kyle - no matter which lathe you decide on - it would be to your advantage to choose one with a #2 Morse taper so that all your accessories will fit your next lathe. And....... chances are you will get a next lathe!

Looking forward to seeing photos of your new lathe real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Don't touch anything that is not 1" X 8 tpi and Morse Taper #2 spindle. That is the current standard for entry level mini lathe.
    Lathe is only a fraction of the cost of woodturning. You also have to allow for accessories, tools, sharpening system and safety gear, finish & other supplies.
    Variable speed is nice, but not essential for mini lathes.
    Find a local AAW chapter, they are the best value.
    http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp
    Gordon

Turning pens, small boxes and spindles is one thing. If, however, you intend to turn bowls..look for a lathe with a low low Slow speed. My Jet 1014VS had a slow speed of 500 RPM IIRC. WAY TOO FAST with an out balance, out of round bowl blank on it. It will definitely raise your heart rate and your adrenalin levels!

Low slow speed and #2 morse taper so your accessories will tranfer to a bigger lathe in the future....and there will be a bigger lathe.

Keep in mind..the lathe is only 1/2 or less of what you will spend to turn. The idiot turners here gave me a Jet 1014VS and a bunch of tools. 18 months later when I upgraded to a PM 3520B...I had already spent between $$2,500-3500 in "accessories"!

Good luck on your Abysseration!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post

Keep in mind..the lathe is only 1/2 or less of what you will spend to turn. The idiot turners here gave me a Jet 1014VS and a bunch of tools. 18 months later when I upgraded to a PM 3520B...I had already spent between $$2,500-3500 in "accessories"!

Good luck on your Abysseration!
    Yea if old Fitz hadn't gotten that lathe and tools he would still be giving us turners a hard time instead of turning.

Welcome Jay to SMC. My advice after upgrading twice myself is to find a turning club or woodcraft close and go turn. Talk to other turners. Think about what you want to turn. You might start with pens like I did but it will soon turn to bowls, then hollow forms then platters, etc. If I were starting over today it would be the Jet 1220 VS for my first lathe. Most turners keep them around when they do upgrade for the small projects and if you fall into the turning black hole you will upgrade. I agree with the rest to make sure you get a 1 X 8 with a MT 2. That way your accessories can follow to the next lathe. Ken was right the lathe is cheap. I have probably around $3000 in other tools, finish, sandpaper, Trend, grinder, buffing, etc. So enjoy and have fun figuring it out.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for all the great input. I think I decided to go with the stater kit from PSI . http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TC...cid=3191799667

It looks like a good place to start. I am going to a turning demo at a local woodcraft store on Sunday, just to check it out.

Again thanks for all the input.... hopefully I will be turning soon.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Erickson View Post
    Thanks for all the great input. I think I decided to go with the stater kit from PSI . http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TC...cid=3191799667

It looks like a good place to start. I am going to a turning demo at a local woodcraft store on Sunday, just to check it out.

Again thanks for all the input.... hopefully I will be turning soon.

Jay
    The 3 tools that come with that kit work great for pens... but remember your going to have to sharpen them eventuality (mine didn't come that sharp to start with). I do a light pass on the grinder after ~ 2 pens.

A good way to get started is to build something like this sharpening jig.

Its been said before... but the lathe is going to be a small % of your final cost .

You'll like the PSI lathe... They (PSI) have given me great service so far.

First Lathe

I bought a Turncrafter Pro on ebay. Wanted something I could carry. I also have a Tyme Avon, Nova 3000 and an old Shpsmith. The turncrafter Pro is great, Variable speed for sure. Larry