Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Forward

Spring Forward

It's the night we set the clocks ahead an hour (don't forget!) and while they did move it up earlier this year, I still didn't expect to be doing it on a day when it's snowing, with 2" so far and still falling heavily. Oddly enough too, we are getting a lot of thunder and lightning. Never saw that before with snow, though most years it only snows 2-3 times, so maybe it's normal in more snowy areas. This year we've had way more than our share of the white stuff.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Joe,

I am looking forward to moving the clock ahead at 2am probably a little more than most. I am working a 12hr shift tonight, so the time change means I only have to work 11 hours and get paid for 12. Every once in a great while a government mandated decision works in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Oddly enough too, we are getting a lot of thunder and lightning. Never saw that before with snow, though most years it only snows 2-3 times, so maybe it's normal in more snowy areas. This year we've had way more than our share of the white stuff.
    We get it once or twice a year around here. It only happens when the temperature is just right - above freezing I believe. The snow will also be wet and heavy and if it is the right time of the year, we'll get power outages too.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

I've seen the thunder and the snow while elk hunting. We camped at an elevation of 7000'. I am working my way uphill and back towards camp. It's been a long hard day and I've covered 7 or 8 miles and 4000' of elevation change. I break out into a meadow realizing I was farther north than I thought.......it's nearly whiteout conditions and the thunder begins. It's spooky especially at those elevations. If you have never experienced a thunder storm and lightning while hiking up a steep cliff at 8,000' and had the lightning bolt strike about 1/8 mile away.....WOW! It will get your attention!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greathouse View Post
    Every once in a great while a government mandated decision works in my favor.
    Paul, upon reflection, I am betting this may be one of the very FEW times

I have never really understood the current need to continue with time changes. It is a terrible inconvenience, and while it may save money on utilities, etc., I could certainly do without it!

It was easier to change when I was younger, but as I get older, it takes much longer for my systems to adapt.

Ken, while we were elk hunting this past year, we had a thunderstorm with rain where we were (9400') but snow just above us. It was an interesting experience for sure!

Oddly enough too, we are getting a lot of thunder and lightning. Never saw that before with snow, though most years it only snows 2-3 times, so maybe it's normal in more snowy areas.
    Joe, that's rare and it's called "Thundersnow". Very cool to experience if you are where the lightening is lighting up things good. I've only seen it twice in my lifetime. Search for thundersnow and you'll find some info on it.

COOL!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Oh My Gosh!

I'm late for church, and I'm the pastor!

Actually, I did that once as a missionary when my friends didn't know that I didn't know about daylight savings time!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Yea, the clocks may have "sprung forward", but my head...fell back...on the pillow this morning. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Didn't set the bedroom clock forward until after getting up, no confusion while my mind is half asleep and got my normal 8-9 hours of sleep.
    David B

To my mind, DST is a ridiculous exercise. Of course, the government didn't consult me.

As my dad in IL used to say, "My cows gotta be milked at the same time of day....so what the hey?.....If those city folks need more daylight, let 'em go to work earlier"

In AZ, the time doesn't change. One thing we really do not need is more sun in the summer.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-08-2009 at 12:21 PM.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I still didn't expect to be doing it on a day when it's snowing, with 2" so far and still falling heavily.
    its snowin'g down here in southern WA too (I'm at 660', it may not be snowing in the valley's)

but as I get older, it takes much longer for my systems to adapt.
    I've noticed that too. You wouldn't think an hour would be that different. I find myself searching for that hour all Summer until its time to set the clocks back again... then I get my hour back.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-08-2009 at 12:21 PM.
    fledgling weekend warrior

If I owned a watch it might be a bigger deal.
    Really seems like a lot of fuss over nothing.
    Heck I know when it's dinner time.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I knew if I waited long enough the clock in the garage is accurate again. It has been off by an hour all winter (not that we use it in the winter--more for summer when we are working/playing outside all day.

Since I retired the Daylight Savings does not even register on my mind or body except for the fact that 90% of my working life was associated with very tight time deadlines so as a result of that I have around 20 clocks in my house and several in every out building. It is a sickness that is brought to my attention during DST because I have to set the ones that are not atomic clocks that set themselves. Is there a twelve step program for folks like me?
    David B

I love DST. I'd be happy if they left the DST shift year around.

I don't like changing clocks twice a year. There always seems to be one VCR, DVD, or other elctronic device which I can no longer figure out how to change the time on, so it drives me nuts for 6 months.....