Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Making plans to build a concrete bowl lathe - opinions welcome.

I vote for a clear sealer made for concrete. Clear epoxy would work well too. Paint may make this look like it's made of metal, kind of spoils the whole point of that massive heavy concrete look. Concrete, as in floors and counter tops, is "in" right now.

I also vote for clear sealer, letting the concrete show. The concrete just looks so "chest thumpin' strong"
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

You could call it a Henweigh or Henway. So when people ask what's a Henweigh you could say oh 3-4 pounds.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Mark, great job removing that ugly pvc pipe - beautiful concrete underneath :-)

For the finish, as someone has stated, concrete countertops are all the rage right now. I would just do some investigation to see how they seal and finish those. It's usually a glossy, durable finish.

Progress on the finish....cuz I don't have enough mdf...

Thanks again Dave. it is neat looking, almost burlish,,,

Tony, its nearing 800 pounds if ya add the motor and other metal parts. ~9 ea 80# bags so far..Two more to go...

I found that I need a few pieces of material (MDF) to finish up the forms for the foot and I am dying to hang the motor and other misc hardware so the logical conclusion was to seal it up so I can proceed with the final assembly of the motor and pulleys and stuff.
    I can seal the foot later. I hope the pick up the materials tomorrow and place the concrete for the foot tomorrow night. I have a long weekend coming up...

Clear sealer it is! I really like the look of the concrete and I recruited a couple willing helpers to seal it up. I decided on a lacquer finish for it and I think it will do just fine.

Pics of tonight's progress are a must...

My helpers really enjoy the hands on and did a great job on the first coat.

Randi making sure to get all the way underneath..

Good work there, helpers! The lacquer should look good. I use it on nearly everything these days. Ventilation so your troops do not inhale too much.
    Richard in Wimberley

I had the shop wide open so the fumes werent too bad.
    I like the lacquer a lot on concrete and it sands easily.

I put on a second coat when the helpers were done and I will do a third after sanding it. Then a final coat should do it.

Mark, the lacquer on there looks fantastic! Great job.

The lacquer looks great Mark, and I see what you mean about being kind of burly looking. I can't wait until you turn something on it!
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

Mark, this is an absolutely wonderful thread. I check here every day to see if you've added any updates. I'm anxious to see the finished product but hate for the thread to end, too.

The lacquer is perfect over the concrete and your two helpers seem very meticulous about the application...I wonder who they get that from?
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Thank you guys!

I went and looked at it when I got home from work tonight and am pleased as punch with the finish.

Ya know Cody, it will be sort of bitter-sweet when I can finaly call it done...More sweet than bitter After I use it for a while I will refine the design and start on buildin another one designed more for production in mind. Fiberglass re-usable forms and a two piece design that can be filled at the same time and assembled after curing.
    I have an aquaintence that has a 5000 s.f. shop thats half empty. He's a custom home builder thats not building a lot of homes in todays market. I will aproach him and see if he wants to partner up and produce these machines for retail sale if I think I could market em.

What do you all think a good retail price would be fair? I know its hard to determine without seeing the finished machine with the ways on and working, Lets just assume the ways will be heavy duty and quality built and the machine works flawlessly (fingers crossed it will).
    your two helpers seem very meticulous about the application...I wonder who they get that from?
    I dunno?? must be their mothers side...

I gotta go scrounge up something to use as the last two form boards.
    I was eyeing athe kitchen cabinet doors...Nice raised panels that would add some flair ok,,, maybee not

Well if you look at the vega, I THINK its roughly 2500$, weighs 500# and a 24" swing.

Yours will be 48" swing and 1000 pounds. If you can get the tailstock figured out and lined up correctly I would think 3500$ is about right.
    Give or take a few hundreds. Just my thought.

Thats the neighborhood I was thinking Alex.

I was just at whits end looking for some material for the form-boards when I came across two boxes of left over wood flooring from when I did the floors in the house. Thats some expensive form-boards I stole two planks... Back out to the shop for me

<grabbing the camera on the way out>

Not bad......$3500 for a great lathe and $5000 to ship it...lol

Looking really sweet mark
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

John,
    It's not that bad, I recently priced shipping a big block chevy engine and transmission (750#) to PA from my place here in CA recently and it was quoted at just under $700.00.. I think I will refine the machine down to about 800# or just under. And I could offer either a kit form or get a small shop on the East coast to fabricate em if I am all successfull selling em on the left coast.

Got a few pics to upload then I'm going to go mix the last two bags of 'crete.