Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jiggsaw Puzzle DXF.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Groenke View Post
    Thanks A TON for all the files, got something to go on now.

I don't have CorelDraw or Illustrator at home but I found an open source vector drawing app that imports and exports cdr, dxf, eps, svg, pdf, odg and a bunch of other formats.

Inkscape - so far so good.
    Kevin, have you actually tried to import/export a CDR file using the latest beta, or are you going by what other websites say?

Up to the latest version (0.46, they still haven't kicked out 0.47 as of this writing), Inkscape has no native support for importing/exporting CDR files. You could do it (with a ton of hassle) by installing Uniconvertor, but the most recent versions of Inkscape have made even that process trial and error. I'm waiting for version 0.47 to be finalized before downloading it, but I hope they've made the process seamless. It was on their 0.47 roadmap for a while, but then it mysteriously disappeared from the listing.

EDIT: I see the site you linked to says the functionality has been added to the latest beta... that's great news. I can now tell customers where to get a freebie solution to create "industry standard" files.
    Last edited by Dan Hintz; 09-25-2009 at 8:58 AM.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I'm posting the tessellation as DXF, just to see how it goes....

whoops, it was too large ...

Okay, now it's zipped. I hope it works for someone!

dee
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Kevin, have you actually tried to import/export a CDR file using the latest beta, or are you going by what other websites say?

Up to the latest version (0.46, they still haven't kicked out 0.47 as of this writing), Inkscape has no native support for importing/exporting CDR files. You could do it (with a ton of hassle) by installing Uniconvertor, but the most recent versions of Inkscape have made even that process trial and error. I'm waiting for version 0.47 to be finalized before downloading it, but I hope they've made the process seamless. It was on their 0.47 roadmap for a while, but then it mysteriously disappeared from the listing.

EDIT: I see the site you linked to says the functionality has been added to the latest beta... that's great news. I can now tell customers where to get a freebie solution to create "industry standard" files.
    Hey Dan,

I downloaded and installed Inkscape .47.1.1 from the site listed.

.47 is still beta, so it is not the "stable" .46 version promoted on the inkscape site.

I haven't had much time to play with it, but it was able to import all of the .cdr files attached to a number of puzzle threads.

It successfully "saved as" .dxf and .eps files all of which open with acad_09 and ai_cs4 without issue. There are numerous other save as options including .pdf.

A new window (python) comes up when you do a "save as" and it is a bit quirky, but who cares about quirks if it works and it's free.

-kg
    Last edited by Kevin Groenke; 09-25-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I've been using Inkscape for quite some time now, and until I broke down and picked up X4 to support CDR files without UniConvertor hacks, it was (well, still is) one of my favorite programs... Paint.NET is high up on the list, too. Nice to see native support for CDRs.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5