Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My penn state dc sucks and I don't mean it in a good way!

My penn state dc sucks and I don't mean it in a good way!

I asked the penn state salesman on the phone about a scratch and dent seeing I only needed the motor and fan assembly. He said he had one. What i got was used and dented. He never said anything about used. it cost me $205 with shipping for the 1 1/2 hp motor and fan. for $50 more i could have driven an hour and bought a used 3HP.

The only reason I didn't is because I didn't think it was right to cancel a standing order. I even waited extra time. I plugged it in and it works but I'm pretty steamed up about it.

Click on the link to see the pictures and you can click each picture to enlarge. It was the only way I could think of to post more than 2 pics. You can see sawdust and heavy wear marks on the inside.

what do you think about it?

http://s430.photobucket.com/albums/q...dustcollector/

I think Penn state is a foul up bunch. I haven't been happy with their service,and when I asked the president about an article in Woodworking magazine that showed that their dust collectors didn't do as well as others that had inclined impellors,he copped an attitude that the article was biased. It wasn't. It did praise one of their collectors.I can't remember which. I bought an Oneida. however,I refuse to put on the great big "Dust Gorilla" Decal!!!

I think when you go for a scratch and dent purchase, it may be open to interpretation whether that means used or not. If you aren't happy with it, send it back. FWIW though, if the impeller doesn't show signs of distress, the scratched paint inside the housing wouldn't bother me. Before you decide, check out Harbor Freight if you are set on this type of DC. I had this model before I bought my Onieda cyclone. $249, but they regularly go on sale. I think I bought one 2 years ago for $169. When it comes to this style DC, it's not a deep gene pool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    It doesn't look any worse than it might after a few months use in any shop. "Scratch and Dent" is open to interpretation. I think Grizzly's tent sales have machines that actually have broken parts on them but, they are listed.

I assume you went this route to try to save some dough, avoid a re-installation or whatever. Only you can decide if the deal is fair. If you are unhappy now, you are likely to blame any future misbehavior on "that darned PSI blower" . . . . at least I catch myself doing that. Looks aside, if the function is there and you saved some money, I would forge ahead.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would expect scratch and dent to mean new merchandise with some damage,not used stuff. If the paint isn't very worn off the insides,it probably hasn't got high hours of use. Of course,I really don't know at what rate the paint would get worn,though.It doesn't seem too worn. Shouldn't have taken much time to knock off the small amount of paint seen there.

Best thing to do is tell everyone about it. How much money did you save over the cost of a new one?
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-06-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Rowe View Post
    I think when you go for a scratch and dent purchase, it may be open to interpretation whether that means used or not. If you aren't happy with it, send it back. FWIW though, if the impeller doesn't show signs of distress, the scratched paint inside the housing wouldn't bother me. Before you decide, check out Harbor Freight if you are set on this type of DC. I had this model before I bought my Onieda cyclone. $249, but they regularly go on sale. I think I bought one 2 years ago for $169. When it comes to this style DC, it's not a deep gene pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    It doesn't look any worse than it might after a few months use in any shop. "Scratch and Dent" is open to interpretation. I think Grizzly's tent sales have machines that actually have broken parts on them but, they are listed.

I assume you went this route to try to save some dough, avoid a re-installation or whatever. Only you can decide if the deal is fair. If you are unhappy now, you are likely to blame any future misbehavior on "that darned PSI blower" . . . . at least I catch myself doing that. Looks aside, if the function is there and you saved some money, I would forge ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I would expect scratch and dent to mean new merchandise with some damage,not used stuff. If the paint isn't very worn off the insides,it probably hasn't got high hours of use. Of course,I really don't know at what rate the paint would get worn,though.It doesn't seem too worn. Shouldn't have taken much time to knock off the small amount of paint seen there.

Best thing to do is tell everyone about it. How much money did you save over the cost of a new one?

I don't see how there could be confusion about the difference between the term "scratch and dent" and the term "used". Only one is used. I have never seen used things labeled anything other than used. Why would you unless you were not telling the truth about its condition. If it has been used it is used.

As far as the amount of time it would take to remove paint from the inside of the impeller housing.... I have emptied 8 bags of sawdust from my old Dc. Granted that is not a large amount by any means but I looked in the impeller housing (I still have it) and the gloss isn't even dulled.

This machine is missing paint. Its not a few scratches. its worn down into the metal. Sawdust is not very abrasive and is not nearly as hard as the substances that are used to form gloss paints. The motor is dated 2004. It looks like it has been used rather heavily to me since that date.

I will never patron penn state again. I was lied to. I don't even see anything on their web site where they claim to sell used equipment.
    Last edited by keith ouellette; 03-06-2009 at 11:24 PM.

To me scratch and dent means cosmetic damage on a new machine. It doesn't mean used.

Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't buy from them after seeing this.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pyles View Post
    To me scratch and dent means cosmetic damage on a new machine. It doesn't mean used.
    Thats what it means to me and I've never heard different till now. I understood that there was something wrong with filter or base and all they had was the motor. The guy never mentioned it being from 2004.

If it works, you got lucky.

I bought a small DC from them years ago and found it didn't suck very hard. I measured the amperage and found it only drew half the current they claimed.

When I complained they seemed bored; I guess they hear it all day long.
    I get their mailing piece regularly, but don't bother to open it.

It seems you're pretty ticked off about this, and I don't really want to add fuel to the fire, but... did you give them a call and ask what is up with this thing? Maybe there is some reasonable explanation for the damage, maybe there isn't, but you won't know until you call. I'd even email them the pictures too.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Effinger View Post
    It seems you're pretty ticked off about this, and I don't really want to add fuel to the fire, but... did you give them a call and ask what is up with this thing? Maybe there is some reasonable explanation for the damage, maybe there isn't, but you won't know until you call. I'd even email them the pictures too.
    I did that. I even sent pics. I can't wait to hear how the inside gets worn down without it being used. My wife said "maybe they had to test it."

Maybe they did but I don't think you would have to run sawdust through it and wear off the paint.

I look forward to an explanation.

The reason I'm so mad is that I realized I didn't even want it because i found something better but I didn't want to be un fair. For fifty dollars more I could have had a newer 3 hp unit and would have had it 2 days ago.

Thats what makes me so mad.

2 words, Clear Vue.

See if you can return it for a refund and get the one you want. If you paid with a credit card, that may help. My Clear Vue sucks so hard I seriously don't want my chihuahua near an open 6" pipe! Ed is also great to work with and personally handles customer service.

My Granddaddy always said, "Never buy a Pig in a Poke!" Without seeing, you relied on what was represented to you over the phone.

I DO believe Penn State's salesman misrepresented his merchandise as *scratch-and-dent* when it was evidently USED! If you are totally unsatisfied with your purchase @ $205, ask for a full refund, and that they have it shipped back at their own expense!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    My Granddaddy always said, "Never buy a Pig in a Poke!" Without seeing, you relied on what was represented to you over the phone.

I DO believe Penn State's salesman misrepresented his merchandise as *scratch-and-dent* when it was evidently USED! If you are totally unsatisfied with your purchase @ $205, ask for a full refund, and that they have it shipped back at their own expense!
    Thats my plan. My big worry right now is.... I couldn't get a call back when all I wanted to know is "when will it be shipped?"

The guy i need to talk to won't be in till monday so I am without a dust collector till then. Mean while the one I would have rather bought is being sold.