Thread: Gravograph

Gravograph

Well I'm going to an exhibit next Thursday put on by New Hermes/Gravograph here locally. I thought I'd throw it out there for any and all, good or bad comments from anyone who has dealt with them. I have NO intentions of buying anything. I just like to stay abreast of the laser side of things. I spoke with a gentleman from the co. over the phone yesterday. He asked about my needs in business, I told him I just need some . Anyway he seemed to want to push their PROPRIETARY software on me (proprietary, ugly word to me), however if I was doing thousands of widgets there could be some advantages. Anyway help a fellow out here would you? Thanks!!

Bruce

I looked at them before going with Epilog, and spent a lot of time talking to a guy that has their software and rotary systems. When he decided to add a laser he also bought an Epilog (used).

Sounds like you are aware of the problems with proprietary software.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks Joe~~I've always seen prop. sftwre. as WE GOTCHA!!!

Bruce

This is a company with a very spotty history for taking care of their customers. I have no experience with their laser but I will have nothing to do with them based on past history with rotary engravers.

There does seem to be a move with new managers to right the ship as far as customer relations but they have a ways to go.

Their equipment has a very good reputation and the equipment I had was good.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have had good luck with mine and had a few issues at first with it When I got it, but tech service was very helpful and get the glitches in software fixed. ( update to color pallet for corel draw.) I do not use there software just corel draw

Ed
    probitix cnc Corel x3, Vcarve pro6.0, Aspire4.0

Blog Entries
    I only use equipment with proprietary software as a very last resort, and even then there had better be a damn good reason. It's all too easy for them to leave you high and dry when your system goes belly up and they decided two hours ago to stop supporting your version.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Proprietary software and dongles.. I don't know why anyone would buy anything that uses either of them.. Third party products are what keeps a business running, not some company that is either too greedy, or feels their product is so inferior, that it can't operate in the real world on it's own..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it