Thread: Exhaust Blower for EXT 60w

Exhaust Blower for EXT 60w

As some of you know I've jumped on the wagon and bought a Epilog EXT60w laser , I'm just getting prepared for it and setting up a dedicated power outlet for this and also an extraction system. Has anyone used a Vortex exhaust blower I'm looking at the VTX1000 which would require reducers down to 6" and draws 795CFM and runs at 57 DBA (not sure how loud this would be but it will be in my roof space). And I was going to install a GFCI breaker on my outlet as well not sure if this a good idea or not. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome thanks.
    Epilog Legend EXT 60w-Corel X4
    Skype me .

There's a lot more good than evil,
    and there's a lot more joy than pain.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley
    of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil:
    for thou art with me;
    thy rod and thy staff
    they comfort me."

Dave,

I have had the HF http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94029 for 16 months now. The bushings are out now but new ones are in transit as we speak. This is the cheapest I found. I have it mounted outside my building/shop which helps keep the noise down considerably. There are better extractors out there..... Grizzly, PSI, and so forth, that might last longer w/o bushing change.

Anthony
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

The EXTs apparently need a LOT of air. One of our members (Barb Macdonald) had significant problems with the exhaust system for her EXT. Her unit had two 4" outlets; yours seems to have two 6" ducts so maybe you have a better chance to make it work. Just the same, I would suggest you contact Epilog before you buy it.

I've been really happy with Grizzly stuff. I try very hard to buy U.S. Made, especially of late given the economy, but when it comes to Grizzly I make the exception. Primarily because there stuff is really high quality and I've never been disappointed; and 2, because their headquarters are right here in my backyard---so its kind of supporting the local economy for me. I think Grizzly specifications demand heavier duty and higher quality components---at least that's my observation. I have two of their dust collectors; one is over 8 years old and works like the day I bought it getting used a couple of hours every day. The other is just coming up on 1 year and so, as expected its problem free as well. Disclaimer: NO, I don't and never have worked for them.
    Tom
    "My wife says I don't listen to her...or something like that..."

Vortex VTX 1000 ?

Dave, I have not been able to find the specs on the exhaust blower you mentioned in your post. The volume of air seems to be a little bit on the low side of what you need if you are going to duct the exhaust further than 10 ft. Another important spec for the exhaust blower is the static pressure it can handle. If the blower you are considering is less than the 6" of static pressure, you need to look at another blower. This pressure rating is as important or more so than the amount of air it moves.

I strongly suggest that anyone looking to make the major investment in a laser engraving system, do not try to save money on your exhaust blower. Saving $ 100 on the front end, will probably cost you a lot more in the long run. Replacing a lens will cost you more than the $ 100 saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Russell Smith View Post
    Has anyone used a Vortex exhaust blower I'm looking at the VTX1000 which would require reducers down to 6" and draws 795CFM and runs at 57 DBA (not sure how loud this would be but it will be in my roof space).
    Hi Dave I am not familiar with that blower but if you check this link from my website...
    http://www.lasercottage.com/links/admin_extractor.htm
    (This link is not available from the website menus as it is intended only for the Creek group when this discussion comes up)

This thing works very well and is usually pretty quiet. I have not had to run it beyond 60% so far as it extracts everything very efficiently at 60% speed.

The 57db is fairly quiet. A level of 30db is regarded as normal house or living noise. Refrigerator etc and 104db is the threshold for hearing damage with 1 hour at that level.
    http://www.abelard.org/hear/hear.php
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

I thought you had to run metal hose from the LAser to the blower or risk the chance for a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Simpson Virgina View Post
    I thought you had to run metal hose from the LAser to the blower or risk the chance for a fire.
    Michael,

My take on that is the fire concern is a carry over from the woodworking use of the blowers where you have burnable material traveling in the exhaust stream.

My extraction system moves only air as I have a filter at the exhaust point of the laser cabinet. Even without the filter there is still not much dust coming off a laser.

No burnable material in the stream means no fire risk as I see it.
    Dave J

You should have a metal pipe from the laser to the blower. It can be flexible but it must be metal.

I believe a search will turn up some horror stories relative to fires in the laser.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 04-12-2009 at 12:02 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    You should have a metal pipe from the laser to the blower. It can be flexible but it must be metal.
    Mike

"must be metal?"

Could you provide some documentation to validate that statement?
    Dave J

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    Mike

"must be metal?"

Could you provide some documentation to validate that statement?
    Page 14 (26 in the PDF) in the Legend 36EXT's documentation (from http://www.epiloglaser.com/downloads...xt_4.22.10.pdf) states this:

Warning: It’s important that either rigid or flexible metal ducting be used for all connections leading to and from the laser system and the exhaust fan. Vinyl, plastic, or any type of “soft” ducting is potentially flammable and should never be used. Flexible aluminum duct or galvanized sheet metal duct is readily available for your ducting needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    Hi Dave I am not familiar with that blower but if you check this link from my website...
    http://www.lasercottage.com/links/admin_extractor.htm
    (This link is not available from the website menus as it is intended only for the Creek group when this discussion comes up)

Hi Dave,

Just FYI... The link to the remote switch is no longer valid.

http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=5148
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

Blog Entries
    FYI... this thread is 1.5 years old... before anyone else posts.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5