Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3520 vs. dvr xp

3520 vs. dvr xp

OK, I know I'm rehashing an old argument, but is a Powermatic REALLY worth $1,200 more than a Nova? I have 220v so both are 2hp. The nova is lighter but when a base is built balast can be added. Turning capicity is similar. Both have proponents who are sure theirs is the best.
    I do infrequent turning and have not done any big items.....yet. Space is not a factor. I was all set to go mustard but WC has a DVR for $1,700. What do you think?

well first off 4 inches more swing over bed isn't something to snicker at. The bed is wider, the headstock is wider, the 18" bed extension can be put lower on the legs which lets you turn up to 36" I think, cant remember. But it is ALOT. The difference between the DVR versus the PM outboard is that the PM can handle pieces over 20" much better. The mass is just so much more. I think it is worth the 1200$ more.

Andy....check the specs for both ...weigh the differences and then you have to make the decision. It doesn't matter what I think...it only matters what the buyer thinks.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yes, absolutely YES.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

you will never look back.
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

Have you looked into the Rikon? It costs quite close to the the same as a 3520.

Blog Entries
    The 3520B is one Hell of a lathe for the money.( search my old post on my purchase of it, I bought SEVERAL of the 3520B accessories with my lathe purchase and got it from ToolNut for about 2,800.00 or was it 2,900.00? shipped to my door after a Powermatic 100.000 rebate.)

I'd say you would not be looking to "upgrade" from the 3520B anytime soon, if ever. A JOY to own and turn on. SMOOTH even with large out of balance pieces mounted.

The Nova , a Fine lathe for what it is, but its no match compared to the 3520B. IMO.

I looked hard at both lathes and a few in the 5,000.00-6,000.00 range and for my use the 3520B was the Best BANG for My Money.

Between the Nova and 3520B alot will actually depend on what YOU want to turn or may want to turn in the Future, only YOU can answer that one.

You loose more Money "upgrading" than just biting the bullet to begin with, keep that in mind as well.

Enjoy whichever lathe YOU choose.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

difference is Nova good and PM great!

Andy, As a 3520B owner I may be biased but the machine speaks for itself. Like already stated if you ever plan to turn bigger than the nova will handle get the PM. The only thing I have done to mine is make a shelf across to fill up with turning blanks, I was going to put some sand in for ballast but so far have not needed it. The smooth power of the 3520B is perfect to get started on heavy out of round blanks and easy to speed up when you are ready. I have said in other posts buy the biggest lathe that you think you would ever use, then in a few years you will be saying I sure would likr a bigger one! The better you get at turning the more you want to try! I have three lathes and if I had the room I would get another larger one! This hobby/job is very addicting!

Good luck and by what you want and be happy with it until your not, upgrading costs but your choice is yours alone.

Have fun,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Talking

Andy,
    I have both and I would not get rid of either one. They are both great lathes but they are apples and oranges money wise. The DVR is right now about half the price of the 3520b. Also the DVR weighs a lot less than the 3520b but sand bags were very cheap. It is a decision that you have to make but with either it will be a good decision. I added the bed extension to my DVR but space consideration was not a problem for me. I'm sure that which ever you choose you will be a happy camper.

For me and where I live finding suitable bowl blanks 14" in diameter is hard to come by. Also many professional turners say that selling anything over a 14 or 16" bowl is rare.

For me it came down to footprint and capacity. I needed sufficient capacity but being I share my shop with my wife I needed a small footprint. I chose the Nova DVR XP.

In its bare form the PM3520 is one heck of a lathe that has earned a great reputation. I wanted a lathe as stable as the 3520. so I figured for very little money and with my fabrication experience I could build a stand that would be as close to the 3520 of course with less swing. Here is the thread on my stand. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99001

I have turned on both the 3520, Jet 1642, my DVR is as stable as either one and maybe more. If anyone is ever interested they are more than welcome to turn on my machine to see for themselves.

With all of this being said out of the box no question the 3520 is going to be the more robust machine. However with a little imagination, work, and time the DVR can be a force to be delt with and with the sale right now that is a pretty awsome deal if the lathe with fit the parameters of material you will use.

If you have the time for a fun project consider the DVR. If you want to just unload and start turning I would consider the PM.

Good Luck

Alan

Andy,

The truth is that you should buy as much lathe as your budget will support. But here is the twist. You will spend almost as much on tools and accessories as you do on the lathe. So if you have $10,000 to spend getting started turning this year buy a Robust or Oneway. If you have $6,000 get the PM, if $3,000 get the DVR or a Jet.

Sorry I just doubled the budget. I should run for Congress.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Andy, I have not read many complaints about the DVR. The 3520 has a huge following here. you would be happy with either but that seems to be a great deal on the DVR. hard to say if the price difference is worth it since that is personal preference.
    Ben

Andy you might look at Woodcraft. They have the DVR for $1699. That is $500 cheaper than I paid for mine. I have the DVR and love it. I would say it is going to depend on what you want to turn. If you are going to turn 20" or larger bowl blanks all the time by all means get the 3520. Where I live I don't get many blanks larger than 16" so the DVR is just fine and besides if I get a blank bigger than 16" I turn the headstock and can turn up to 29". Andy which ever way you go you won't be disappointed.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

For me, the sliding headstock was the primary reason to buy it. I turn mostly hollow forms so getting directly in front of the lathe is crucial for me. Now, I'm beginning to turn bowls and find I get no elbow pain because I stand directly in front of the bowl with a gouge tucked under my arm. Can't do that with a non-sliding headstock unless you want to sit on the bed.

Then, there are the small things. The banjo works without effort or strain. On my Nova 1624 I had to apply a lot of torque to the levers to ensure they stayed in place. The tool post lever was always in the way and rattled. The banjo has limited movement and placement. I can move the 3520 banjo anywhere on the ways including dead center at 90 degrees. The legs are designed so a shelf can be assembled with 2x material. The legs have bolts for accessory devices both off the shelf and shop made. Comes with a nifty tool holder. The tailstock is massive, perhaps, a bit too massive. However, it has a self ejecting quill if that's important to you and a measuring gauge on it. Small things but it shows the quality of design.

My 1624 is 25 months old. The paint is peeling and the handle on the tailstock has come off twice. The tailstock has jammed on numerous occasions. I've taken it apart and cleaned it but it still randomly jams up. The reverse switch was mis-labled so reverse is forward and visa versa. This is corrected on the newer models.

Nova makes great jaws. I could never get used to the backwards tightening chucks so I never took advantage of the jaws selections. However, while this discussion is not about accessories it does demonstrate the thinking behind Nova.

The 3520 was designed by Rude Osolnik, a highly respected and showcased turner.

The one issue I have with the 3520 that you won't have with the Nova is the size of the headstock. The 3520 has a fat head and access to the bottom of a turning is difficult for me. Never had this problem with the 1624.

My understanding is the Nova has a variable speed range. There is a 2 speed range on the 3520 but so far I've never used it. Just turn a knob. That, and the sliding headstock are, for me, the deal killers for any other lathe, except perhaps, the Robust American Beauty. But at the price of that lathe I could buy 3 3520s.

Burt

I just scanned the replies, and agree with most, but everyone left out one important thing............What about the pride and prestige that goes with having that distinctive Mustard Color in your shop. Myself I can't wait to get a place with a bigger shop to get one. I keep telling the GF that the next house will be a shop with living quarters...........lol
    "There is nothing more dangerous than a resourcful idiot".....Dilbert