Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Anybody feeling Thorny'

Tony,

That is certified as a honey locust tree by a forester who has had to put his diameter tape around trees like that.

Those thorns are actually modied laves.

You can find thornless honey locust that have been cultivated for urban use.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

You have the 'wild' type of honey locust. There are a couple of hybrid strains of domesticated honey locust (called Morraine I think) that don't have the thorns. The wild ones don't get very big, but the hybrids can get very large. Game animals love the seeds, and seed pods, and I even heard that some people use them to flavor and sweeten home brewed beer.
    robo hippy

But you never see a squirrel run up a honeylocust tree. I wonder why that is
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

I have an answer for ya!

Its a Honeylocust dude! Someone said it may be russian olive but it is a light wood not dark like a russian olive. Hope that helps.

It's Honey Locust, the burl will have cream and pink colorations, along with some WILD patterns.
    Be WARNED, I turned a burl bowl like this VERY thin and it warped and cracked all over the place. I turned another piece about 3/8 inches thick and it only went out of shape a bit. I have one piece left that has been sitting for over a year while I figure out what to do with it, in hopes of getting a complete success - probably a hollow form, turned twice.
    There is a lot of stress in the burls that I found on the tree I got, but the wood is REALLY PRETTY! And it turns nicely when it's wet. Have Fun.
    Change One Thing

George, you're sure right about the stress grain in that wood. I mounted a large piece of it in the stronghold to NE center core it, everything was going fine, I had gone about 1" or so deep when it got a big catch. The 25lb blank jumped up in the air and came back down on top of my thumb which was holding the tool rest steady. Let me tell you, it didn't feel good at all. I'll probably work on some smaller stuff awhile before mounting that one again........Tony

Ouch! Sounds like that is gonna leave a mark!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Honey Locus for sure! Nice and Narley! Have fun, can't wait to see the grain! DG
    Jet1642-2hp (Mayo Lite)