Thread: Planer Dust Collection

Planer Dust Collection

Good Afternoon All,

I have an old Delta 12" planer, model 22-540 which I normally run outside. However, I'd like to run the planer in my garage shop and have been looking at dust hoods to hook it up to my dust collector. Delta makes a plastic hood, PN 50-359 that has the port in the center. This looks like it would place the hose in the way and require that it be supported in some way. However, I've found a hood at Western Tool Supply that looks to be made of metal and has the port on the end which would place the hose out of the way to the side. The one from Western Tool looks better to me, but it is about 2x as much including shipping.

Does anyone have any experience with either the Delta hood or the one from Western Tool regarding the port location and construction?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I have the Delta hood on my planer and it has worked well. My DC piping is over head so the center outlet doesn't get in the way as it curves up into my DC piping.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Please let is know the results of you search. I have one of the Delta 13 inch planers, and it makes a terrible mess. I'd love to get an attachments to control dust and shaving on it.

I also have the Delta hood w/ center hose attachment and it does not get in the way. I've run a PSI DC on rollers with it and just tie a bungy around DC tube and wrap it around the T-Wrench which sits in storage hole at top corner of planer. No problems and the hood collects 95-98% of everything.

Mac

I have the hood that has the outlet at the end. It does a good job. Unfortunately, I would like to see it made from heavier weight metal. You might want to try making one from sch 20, 4" sewer pipe. Cut a slot in one side. Cap one end, and use a 4" sch 20 X 3" sch 40 adapter, that your 4" hose will fit over. Figuring how to "hang it" would be the hardest part.

Thanks for the responses!

Thanks for the responses guys. Bruce's comment gives me an idea that I might take the Delta part with the center port (about $20 cheaper than the metal version at Western) and put in an elbow to divert the hose to the side. Hopefully this wouldn't raise the static pressure too much. I'm thinking that this should be OK since I'm running a 1200 CFM, Jet Cannister collector through a 6" main. I'll let you know how it works.

Charlie

I have a 13 " Delta with a cast factory dusthood with a 5 " outlet.It keep plugging up and I decided to try a 4x12x6 universal hot air boot from the local hvac supplier. About $ 6.00 . Works Great.