Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Pics

Talking Project Pics

I wasn't sure if you guys would consider this a valid 'woodworking' project but then I figured it's got dozens of mortices, over 400 dowels, hand cut miters, and alot more. So it's a woodworking project! This is my skin-on-frame East Greenland Kayak and I must start out by saying that it was built under the direction of my good friend and mentor, Mark Rogers of Superior Kayaks in Whitelaw, WI, who also makes beautiful wood kayaks of 'fine furniture' quality. He would probably cringe to read that because his boats are made to be paddled. If your interested in checking his work out his website is superiorkayaks.com.

All the construction techniques are as close to the original Greenland methods as Mark can determine, based on studying kayaks in European museums and by being mentored himself by Sven Ulstrup, a Dane who learned the techniques in Greenland.

Anyway, my boat is 19'8" long and 20" wide and weighs 34 lbs. A fibreglass boat this size would weigh about 50 lbs. The gunwales are pine and have scarfed joints (epoxied) to achieve their length. The gunwales are bent to shape using spreaders and ropes. The ribs are steam bent red oak and fit in mortices in the underside of the gunwales. The deckbeams (mostly pine) fit into mortices in the inside walls of the gunwales. The mortices and mating ends of the deckbeams are cut to accommodate the angles formed as the gunwales taper at either end. In case you haven't figured it out, that means every deckbeam and every rib is different and must be hand fit. Both ribs and deckbeams are pinned (1/4"), and then the pins are pinned (1/8") at each end. The only power tool used was a small cordless drill. The frame is rubbed with BLO before stretching the canvas skin over it. The cockpit coaming is steam bent red oak and is sewn directly to the canvas. The canvas is painted with a "secret formula" which I cannot share. Sorry.

In case you are wondering, these kayaks, of which I have built three now, are high performing boats. They are quite fast and handle very well in rough water. I know that some of you folks get a kick out of pulling a pair of socks out of a dresser drawer with nice hand-cut, or machine-cut dovetails that you made. So I suspect you have an idea how much fun it is to mess around in your own hand-made boat.

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really nice looking kayak, Greg. Gt\reat piece of woodworking. You can be justifiably proud of that work.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Beautiful. Do you have any construction shots?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Hammond
    Beautiful. Do you have any construction shots?

Bob
    Thanks, Bob. I'll need to dig out the CDs from the workshop. That would help in visualizing the sequences of construction.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mann
    I wasn't sure if you guys would consider this a valid 'woodworking' project
    Looks like wood, Smells like wood, Floats like wood ...... It's a woodworking project !! And a mighty fine one at that !!

Great looking project Greg, and I bet you are really proud to 'smoke' all the others in their store bought boats.

As Bob said, would love to see some construction pic's showing joint details.
    Tony

Thumbs up

Awesome woodworking project!!
    Show more pics
    Jim

Construction pics

Here are some progress shots. I had to dig back because this project was started in February. It takes a month for the first coat to 'cure' so this has taken some time to complete.

Tony, these kayaks are faster than I am. Last summer, in my Aluetian style skin Baidarka, I did a 20 mile day-paddle on Lake Superior with a group that included a former white-water world champion kayaker, the British Canoe Union national surf kayak coach, an expedition kayaker who has paddled from Japan to Alaska by way of Siberia (unsupported) and a couple of young body-builders. I kept up fine and actually finished before everyone else when the water conditions changed to match those my boat was designed for. We weren't racing and I am not as good as those guys but my kayak was.

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is one very sleek looking kayak Greg. In fact, it is the sleekest looking kayak that I have ever seen -I bet it's a joy to use.

It certainly does qualify as a woodworking project!

I would like to build a boat once I get my shop built and a few on-hold projects completed. It will probably be a couple of years from now before I started. I am leaning towards building a rowboat -not one to putter around in but one to row. Greg I know that a rowboat is not a kayak, but am wondering if you have any advice and/or sources to recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    That is one very sleek looking kayak Greg. In fact, it is the sleekest looking kayak that I have ever seen -I bet it's a joy to use.

It certainly does qualify as a woodworking project!

I would like to build a boat once I get my shop built and a few on-hold projects completed. It will probably be a couple of years from now before I started. I am leaning towards building a rowboat -not one to putter around in but one to row. Greg I know that a rowboat is not a kayak, but am wondering if you have any advice and/or sources to recommend?
    Frank, There are some nice designs out there for many styles of wooden boats, and while I'm probably preaching to the choir around here, wood is a great material for boats! Check out Chesapeake Bay Lightcraft. They mostly do kit boats, but the main guy there has written several books on different designs.
    I am biased regarding kayaks(because I like to see where I'm going ) but any way you go, look for a light construction so it is easy to handle off the water. I'll look for some resources and maybe PM you if you'd like.

Greg

Outstanding!

Wow! Excellent work. You are patient and pay attention to the details. You should be PROUD!!

Greg,
    Too cool - I admire the patience it must take to build somethimg like that.

Wes

Greg that is one elegant looking kayak that you made. Beautiful job. It's amazing how something that is designed to work so well is automatically beautiful.
    Pete Lamberty

Awesome job! And yes, that's woodworking!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thats a project near and dear to my heart. Beautiful boat, and exquisite craftsmanship.

Frank, in addition to Chesapeake Light Craft, you might check out Pygmy Boats near Seattle. Both companies have really nice "stitch and glue" kayak and canoe kits. I'm pretty sure that they both have rowing dories, and one or the other has a rowing "skiff" that can be outfitted with a sliding rowing platform. Both companies use primarily mahogany plywood with a clear fiberglass/epoxy skin.

Mike Sloan

Thumbs up

Man that boat is a beauty. It is nice when people do show things other than tables and such. (not that I don't like seeing them too!)