Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Padilla's Garage Gut/Remodel

Padilla's Garage Gut/Remodel

As some of you may or may not know, I am on an "at home working" vacation right now and my main goal is to get my garage in shape for a real wood/work shop. I'm Home Alone until July 22 when my wife and kid arrive back from Europe. Whew!

So, first order are the before shots. You've seen these off and on plenty of times on here but here we go!

I'm going for a full gut...nearly all the drywall will be removed. Only around the HVAC stuff will I leave the drywall since I don't want to remove all that crap.

The whole garage will receive new electrical. 2 120 V/20 A circuits, light circuits, the DC will have its own 240 V/30 A, plus I'll have 1 or perhaps 2 240 V/30 A circuits.

I'm going to adjust some plumbing here and there and anticipate moving the water softener as well.

I'll try to post daily photos....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

All the cabinets have been emptied and I've got the one near the door completely dismantled.

It'll just be demo for the next day or two...nothing terribly exciting....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chris, I see that you have a washer and drier right in your workshop. Are you going to partition them off somehow as part of your renovation?

Nice start, Chris...I'd offer to help, but it's a long commute! 'Looking forward to more of your pictorial!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think the washer is for cleaning off the lumber prior to running it through the jointer/planer. The dryer is a multi-purpose tool in Chris's shop: Task one is to dry the lumber right after running them through the washer. Task number two is to act a "semi-kiln"....for small stuff.

Two tools that every workshop requires.......

Chris,
    Where do you keep your hot dogs before you run them through the saw? I am looking for ideas for my own shop. And the Bimmer.....is he sleeping out?
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Thumbs up Window covering...

Chris....
    Please tell us the fabric on the door window is staying!!!!
    It's killer!
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

I think the curtins should set the entire tone of the new shop, but you need to work faster, you only have 8 more days before the boss comes home with her honey-dos and everything takes longer than it should. Nice start, I know you will appreicate the space, until you start to run out of it.

Thats funny! I did not even see the window fixture until they mentioned it. The house we just bought has the fancy(and really lacy) curtains on the front of the house..including the garage(so that it all matches from the front). I wanted to take them out and the wife would not let me.

So I to have some really pretty fabric in my shop to......

Talking

We get that pattern on our TV when the dish dies............

It's called INTERFERENCE :-)

The cloth has to stay Chris...

Boy, I have *GOT* to edit my pictures in the future!! That curtain on the door has been there since we moved in to the house 5 years ago!

Frank, I've waxed and waned about making a partition for the washer and dryer. They get so dusty and dirty from all the sawdust BUT, with my new DC going in, I'm really hoping that dust problems will be a thing of the past. Still, it is something to ponder.

Chris,
    Your first pix shows totally empty joist bays. This may be a waste of sapce. I can't tell you how many things I have stored there. From my little used 8 ft. pipe clams, to jigs for tapers and bandsaw dovetails, etc. You may be missing the boat. Course, I am a bit space challenged.
    Alan

Could you maybe make a cover that would hinge open on the top & front of the washer & dryer that would be closed & keep dust out & even give you more space to set something on if needed?

Take every advantage.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Chris,

Don't listen to these guys. I think the curtain is a good starting point for nice colorful decor. Looks like you've got powermatic yellow and grizzly/wilke green in there. Plus you can accent in red.
    But, it doesn't look like the MM stuff will match. That's OK, just send it to me and I'll send you some Grizzly replacements that will.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    All the cabinets have been emptied and I've got the one near the door completely dismantled.

It'll just be demo for the next day or two...nothing terribly exciting....
    Chris, it's looking better already! My old house had the W&D in the shop..er garage. I was diligent about keeping them covered with a furniture pad, it seemed to keep the peace.

So...what the h*** is that leaning up against your new MM20? Shame on you!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney