Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shopping list ***Opinions and comments pleas***

Shopping list ***Opinions and comments pleas***

Going in head first...

I'm selling an old Camaro to equip my woodworking shop. I expect to get at least $6,000 for it and have been doing some shopping.

I already have a good table saw, router, biscuit cutter set and a 10" and 8" cut-off saws as well as a few cordless and corded tools and air compressor with several air tools.

So I put together a list of the various pieces of equipment needed to have a well equiped shop. I plan on turning mid to large bowls and making some furniture. I am a fairly experienced woodworker but havent done a lot in several years.

So any input on any of the machines I have picked out would be appreciated. I'm not sure about the brand of band saw I picked out and could go as much as $1k for that item...

The only things I can comment on are the Planer and Jointer. I own the same models and have been very pleased with them. Since I've no experience with any other type, I have nothing to compare and contrast with so you can take my comment for whatever you feel it might be worth. But, I have no regrets with those two machines.

What's the "fee" entries?
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I think that would be a nice collection of tools to add to the shop I will offer my 2 cents and suggest 2 changes. I would look at a dust collector with more cfm than the Jet DC 650, mine just seems a bit lacking. I would also look at an 8 inch jointer. I have the Jet 6 inch and I am very pleased with it, except when I want to joint a board wider than 6 inches.

The fee is overweight trucking but there is a Woodcraft in Sacramento about three hours from me so I may make sure they have what I need ready to go and then make the trek to go pick em up in me ole pick-em up truck (hope it all fits).
    They also have ten percent off right now
    If I go pick up and deduct the 10% I could save a lot of $ on an order this size.

Thanks for your comments on the planer and jointer Tom!! I appreciate em! I dont think I can go wrong with Jet.

Looks like a nice list. The only thing I would recommend is to spend less on the planer/molder and get an 8" jointer. Unless you have specific molding work that you plan on making a lot of, I wouldn't recommend a planer/molder. For most moldings, you'll probably end up making them on your router table any way. This will give you more capacity for jointing wider boards. Food for thought:

Grizzly G0490 8" Parallelogram Jointer for $895
    DeWalt 12-1/2" Planer for $429

Happy shopping!

Todd

Wow!!

OK, that is exacly the kind of advise I was looking for.
    It's a lot of money to get started and I need to spend wisely,

I plan on having the DCS outside the main shop and plumb through the rafters with 4" or larger pvc to each machine. I had an old cast iron vacume that sat on a 55 gal drum that would have worked but gave it away ten years ago when I moved.

Thanks again for the input...Back to Woodcrafts web site I go...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Solomon View Post
    Food for thought:

Grizzly G0490 8" Parallelogram Jointer for $895
    DeWalt 12-1/2" Planer for $429
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Norman View Post
    OK, that is exacly the kind of advise I was looking for. It's a lot of money to get started and I need to spend wisely.
    I'm in with Todd on the Jointer and Planer improvement. A lot more bang for your buck IMHO. I have the G0490X and the DW734 and went through months of research before I decided. I'm just saying this so you will know that I am prejudice; if I thought something else made better sense, I would have done it. Other folks bought what they bought for the same reason, they just wanted what those products delivered.

Your DC choice is expensive as well; I think you can do better. For about the cost of the Jet you can have a 2HP 1700CFM Griz G0548 delivered. I think you need to break out of the 'one stop shopping' approach. The sale is obviously time limited and one trip would be convenient but, I would rather spread my purchases out and get a little more bang for the buck (JMHO).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glenn

I am in the preliminary planning stage right now. And that's why I came here asking for opinions.

I'll be shopping around before I start spending $$$. I see some deals on e-bay but I would rather buy from an authorised distributor.

Thanks again. I'll be revising my shoppin list more than once for sure!

9. Aww, no love for the hand tools? I know I can't do anything without mine...
    If I had 6,000 to spend on tooling up, I would definitely spend 1000 on quality chisels, sharpening equipment, and a couple nice planes.

bigger b/s?

How many HP is the Rikon? I don't know much about turning but I suspect you would want a substantial B/S for cutting blanks. I have the small Grizzly G0555 and while a nice saw, I would want bigger for resawing and turning blanks I think. Both the 0513 and 0514 varieties seem like very good bang for the buck.

Check to see if you have a Western tool nearby they charge $5 for special orders including machinery and seem to be willing to bargin on price.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    How many HP is the Rikon? I don't know much about turning but I suspect you would want a substantial B/S for cutting blanks. I have the small Grizzly G0555 and while a nice saw, I would want bigger for resawing and turning blanks I think. Both the 0513 and 0514 varieties seem like very good bang for the buck.
    Thanks Rick,
    It's 1-1/2 hp and has a 13" resaw capacity. Thats why I chose it. I want to turn deep bowls and I have access to a lot of oak trees in these parts.

Here it is:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=20041

I'll look at the Griz 0513 and 0514, Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Buonarosa View Post
    Aww, no love for the hand tools? I know I can't do anything without mine...
    If I had 6,000 to spend on tooling up, I would definitely spend 1000 on quality chisels, sharpening equipment, and a couple nice planes.
    The smaller hand tools come as I need em Shawn. I have some and will surely aquire more as I go.
    Thanks

I do a fair bit of turning, and I will say you might regret the money on the chuck and the Lathe. I would recommend either the One-Way Talon or a Vicmarc chuck and a set of larger jaws to go with the chuck. I am not sure where you got the price on the Lathe (amazon lists at 1500), but the Jet 1642 is about 1800 and will allow you turn a wet log into a reasonable sized bowl. Also you may want to purchase the lathe tools seperately. Woodcraft does sales regularly on them or craft supply.

Bottom line you may want to focus on the furniture building equipment or the lathe equipment given your budget. I figure just in tools, chucks, and other turning supplies you can spend about 3k and have just a medium quality setup. You will find that you may have limited yourself in capacity down the road with your current choices.

Sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by Clint Schlosser; 02-28-2009 at 7:47 PM.

I am not very experienced but here is my 2 cents.

I also have the grizzly 8" para jointer. I went through two others before I got that one. It sets up great.

I bought a 20" planer right off the bat and have been glad I did. I don't like my brand (It has worked fine so far. its a long story). i like to be able to put a glue up through the planer. I don't know how handy others think that is but the 20" planer was one thing I feel I did right. Just wish I had the money for a better, still in existence brand.