Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros/Cons of Spindle Sanders?

Pros/Cons of Spindle Sanders?

Was thinking of getting an oscillating spindle sander and was wondering about the differences between the Delta and JET benchtop models. The JET is way more expensive and the only thing I see extra is the tilting table. Any thoughts on these or other models?

I'm sure there will be those that disagree with me, but hey its my opinion and it is the right one .

I was in your shoes a few years back. I started with the Ridgid and quickly return it becuase I was just not happy with the quality of the tool. I then began looking hard at the Jet and Delta.

Delta Benefits: Price, comes with 3" spindle
    Jet benefits: Tilting top, bigger motor, 1/4" spindle, nicer fit and finishing, better dust collection, smaller footprint, if I recall longer warranty.

I went with the Jet after much thought and glad I did. It is one nice machine, no regrets. I've never needed the 3" spindle, but if I do I can buy it, though I wish they would have included. The tilting top is nice, though not used that often, but when need I don't have to rig something up.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I have the Delta Boss and like it a lot. I can't see the need for anything more. It's very quiet, heavy cast iron top, and has a fan to suck out the dust. I connect a shop vac to mine and it works well. I honestly can't see spending any more than this; it's well made and gets the job done. What else do you want? BTW some people have suggested a portable hand held spindle sander then mount it like a router table set up for table use. Then you have two tools in one. Regards, Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

I got the Delta BOSS when building my grandaughter's cradle. I'm a really happy camper. The machine is smooth and quiet. I know there are others who need and use the tilt table, I never have had the need. Now as to technique. Some complain about the uneven surface OSS leave. The way to fix that is to sand in one direction and then pull the piece back the other way. That takes out any ridges and bumps. This sander has saved me many hours of manual labor.

I got the Riobi when it first came out years ago and it still does a great job. After about 5 years one of the belts broke and when I took it in to get fixed they did a retro fix and it didn't cost a thing. New models have the retro in them. Other then that it has worked great. It makes short work of things and I think now they are half of what I paid for mine.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Russ,

I have the Delta (about 4 years now), it is a solid unit and good value. The 3" spindle is a plus and in my sander 80% on the time. Dust collection is excellent, especially when hooked to a DC. Table is nice size and ground flat. No complaints.

John

I have the Delta. The main reason for buying it was weight, with it being stored under a bench I didn't want to throw my back out lifting it to the bench. It weighs considerably less than the Jet.

Craig

I purchased the Jet just a few weeks ago. For some reason I did'nt even look at the Delta. Amazon had the Jet for $299. There was a $50 coupon off that price and free shipping. I had it in less than a week. I love it, but once again I have nothing to compare it to.

I went with the Jet after much thought and glad I did. It is one nice machine, no regrets. I've never needed the 3" spindle, but if I do I can buy it, though I wish they would have included.

Scott you said it all I did the same thing.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Russ,

How about getting the PC-121 handheld oscillating/spindle sander? I often invert it in my bench top and I have way more benchtop than any floor/bench top unit. However, mine can only handle 1/2", 3/4", 1", and 2" drums...I think that is all. It may also have less up 'n down travel than a bench/floor model--not sure. I have to admit that I haven't used it much outside of the benchtop but it was handy when I did!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have the Delta BOSS and have been very pleased with it. That said, I have on several occasions wished for a tilting table for sanding curved bevels, such as the lower supports on the NYW Adirondack chairs. Should I even invest in another oscellating spindle sander, it will surely have either a tilting table or a tilting spindle.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Jet!!

I use it a lot. When I was installing some crown molding I used various size spindles instead of a coping saw to fit the moldings at the corners. I love it!

I've got the Delta BOSS and it does a good job. IIRC, the JET has a bit more 'travel', so you get an extra 1/2" or so sanding height. That would be good for me, and buying again, I'd go with the JET...

KC

I have the Jet bench top spindle sander as well. The tilting top and larger motor was a must for me. Unlike most I purchased a scratch and dent model from General Industrial Supply, the savings were significant. The Jet is smooth and quiet as a sewing machine.

I can't believe I didn't buy a spindle sander years ago, mine is absolutely indespensible...it makes short work of sanding edges of signs in wood and Corian.

I have the Delta and have been very happy with it. Someone mentioned better dust collection with the Jet but I don't see how that is possible - with the Fein connected, I get zero dust escaping. That said, if I were looking to buy again, I would go with the PC handheld and put it in the router table. The small tables of these machines is my only complaint.

Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney