Thread: 220 and the Dust Collector

220 and the Dust Collector

I have a somewhat basic electrical question. I just bought a new Dust Collector (the Grizz 2hp with the canister filter) that is 220 v. This is my first 220 v tool and I am not currently wired in the shop for it.

I do however have a 220 line running to the laundry room directly upstairs from my shop for an electric dryer. The laundry room is equipped with both the 220 v outlet and a gas line for a gas dryer. We only use the the gas outlet as we have a gas dryer. SO i will be taking the 220v electric hookup for my shop downstairs.

Anyway, the circuit is 30 amps and the manual on the DC and the knowledgable salesman at the Borg (for once I get a knoweldgeable salesperson! Yeah! ) both told me to swap out the 30 amp circuit breaker and install a 15 amp.

all my wire is good to 30 amp, and I'd rather not have to mess around in my panel if I don't have to.

Is this really necessary? I understand that it protects the motor, but shouldn't the motor have overload protection on it?

Also, wouldn't it be better to leave the 30 amp circuit in place in case I ever acquire more 220v tools - I can just run both tools off of that one circuit.....?

Thanks in advance
    Justin

Ok, I was reading another thread and I think I found the answer: Code requires a 15A breaker for a 15A reciptical (which is what the DC requires).

Is this right?

-J

Blog Entries
    Basically yes. The breaker protects the circuit, not the tool. So, generally anything that makes the circuit should be matched.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Or, you could replace the plug on the DC and leave the breaker as is.

Sounds like you're going to have to re-route or tap into the circuit wiring to get an outlet where you need it. If that's the case, you have several options.

1. Leave it as a 30amp circuit. Tap into the existing wiring and install a 30 amp outlet in the shop and replace the plug on the DC. Leave the laundry room outlet connected in the circuit. Functionally, this will work. Don't know what the local codes will say about adding outlets to the dryer circuit.

2. Replace the 30 amp breaker with either a 15 or 20 amp breaker. Install 15 or 20 amp duplex receptacle in the garage. Leave the DC power cord as is. Remove the 30 amp laundry room outlet from the circuit or replace it with a 15/20 amp receptacle, either of which will make the circuit useless as a dryer circuit and may have code ramifications in your jurisdiction. You can't have a 30amp outlet on a circuit protected by a 15 or 20 amp breaker. You can use 15 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit if there is more than one outlet. A single duplex receptacle qualifies as "more than one outlet".

3. Run a new (20 amp?) circuit for the shop, and leave the dryer circuit alone.

4. And my recommendation is: talk with a qualified person (local electrical inspector?) who is familar with code requirements for your jurisdiction, explain what you have and where you want to be, and take their advice.
    Last edited by Tom Veatch; 02-27-2009 at 11:57 PM.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Toms on it!

Myself, I would just relocate the dryer outlet and change the pigtail on the equipment to match the outlet. Its ok to up-size the plug.

Thanks for the replies. I just swapped out the breaker at the panel. I guess I was nervous going into the panel, but it turned out to be easy. Put in a 15 amp breaker. Plugged in the new DC (Grizz 2hp with canister) and BOY that thing moves dust! After a long time with a shop vac I'm amazed at how great this thing is!

Thanks
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    Or, you could replace the plug on the DC and leave the breaker as is.

Sounds like you're going to have to re-route or tap into the circuit wiring to get an outlet where you need it. If that's the case, you have several options.

1. Leave it as a 30amp circuit. Tap into the existing wiring and install a 30 amp outlet in the shop and replace the plug on the DC. Leave the laundry room outlet connected in the circuit. Functionally, this will work. Don't know what the local codes will say about adding outlets to the dryer circuit.

2. Replace the 30 amp breaker with either a 15 or 20 amp breaker. Install 15 or 20 amp duplex receptacle in the garage. Leave the DC power cord as is. Remove the 30 amp laundry room outlet from the circuit or replace it with a 15/20 amp receptacle, either of which will make the circuit useless as a dryer circuit and may have code ramifications in your jurisdiction. You can't have a 30amp outlet on a circuit protected by a 15 or 20 amp breaker. You can use 15 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit if there is more than one outlet. A single duplex receptacle qualifies as "more than one outlet".

3. Run a new (20 amp?) circuit for the shop, and leave the dryer circuit alone.

4. And my recommendation is: talk with a qualified person (local electrical inspector?) who is familar with code requirements for your jurisdiction, explain what you have and where you want to be, and take their advice.
    That is good to know for next time (if there is a next time) - I probably would have just used an upsized plug and just relocated the recepticle. I didn't think you could do that given that the manual called for a Nema 6-15 plug and a 15 amp breaker. I figured the machine needed to be protected from anything over 15 amps (not sure how it would draw that much current? maybe something gets jammed in the impellor?).

-J

Quote Originally Posted by Justin McCarthy View Post
    I didn't think you could do that given that the manual called for a Nema 6-15 plug and a 15 amp breaker. I figured the machine needed to be protected from anything over 15 amps (not sure how it would draw that much current? maybe something gets jammed in the impellor?).

-J
    Just the opposite Justin, The manufacturer want to make sure you don't under-rate the plug and breaker. The breaker is there to protect the circuit not whats plugged into it.

Glad you got it working in any case