Thread: PVC Pipe "names"

PVC Pipe "names"

I've read a great many postings on using PVC pipe for dust collection and I know there are more than two type out there. Can someone list the common names and the trade names for the pipes (such as S&D is ASTM-2729; I'm not sure that's correct even).

In addition, Rockler has a listing for a 4" Hose connector to PVC Sewer Pipe listed (Item 38820 http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=20383) with the description "The large end of this connector fits into Schedule 20 PVC, while the smaller end attaches to any 4" dust hose. The PVC connection requires silicone adhesive and the hose can be fixed with a metal clamp (neither are included). Schedule 20 (PVC sewer pipe) is thin walled PVC pipe commonly found at home centers. Made from ABS plastic." I'm pretty sure that sewer pipe is not schedule 20. Correct? I thought it was for central vacuum systems.

You have the S&D 2729 correct. That is the thin walled sewer and drain that is hard to find, but best to use. The walls are 1/10th of and inch thick. I found it best to ask for thin wall non pressure sewer and drain pipe. The place I found mine at didn't know what S&D 2729 was, even though it's stamped on the pipe. I had to show it to them in their yard.
    The next lightest weight pipe is the SDR35 (or is it SDR34?). It can sometimes be found at the box stores and is usually a pale green in color. Same fittings fit the S&D 2729 and the SDR35(34).
    Schedule 40 and schedule 80 are the thicker walled pressurized pipe for water. While they would work for dust collection, they are heavy and more expensive. I'm not sure what the schedule 20 is...not heard of it.
    Hope this helps a little. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

3. I was confused with this also. Try this link. http://www.markturner.com/engineer/pvc.htm

pipe thickness

I think the simple way of explaining schedule 40 and schedule 80 is that the 80 is about twice the thickness of 40, so would assume that schedule 20 would be about 1/2 the thickness of schedule 40.

S&D ASTM D-2729 4" OD is 4.215"
    ASTM D-3034, SDR 35, 4" OD is 4.215"
    ASTM F2158, Sch. 20 pipe, 4" is 4.5" OD
    ASTM D1785, Sch. 40 pipe, 4" is 4.5" OD

Hope that helps.

Mike

Michael,

That's all the information I was lloking for and more (ie., the ODs). Thank you.