Thread: Traveling to SF Bay area

Traveling to SF Bay area

The wife and I are traveling to Oakland in early April. The most practical route takes us near Yosemite Nat. Park. It seems foolish to miss an opportunity to see the park when we are that near. Tioga pass road won't be open that time of year, and that makes it likely that the park will be under a lot of snow. Due to my useless knee, we don't snowshoe or CC ski. We will probably enter on the Glacier point road from the south, and exit west down Priest grade. Does anybody have first hand knowledge of the snow pack in the area this year, and what the conditions are likely to be in the park. Glacier point won't be open, so all we'll be able to see is the valley loop. At this time of year is the snow likely to be pristine and clean or will it be a muddy mess? Should we carry tire chains? What kind of conditions should we expect on priest grade? I am used to winter driving conditions, but really don't want to slide all the way down. I have also always wanted to see Bodie State Park. Are the conditions there likely to be the same as Yosemite? Any suggestions for visiting the park this time of year?
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-26-2009 at 12:24 PM.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Sounds like a fun trip Brian! You have probably already looked at this but it does have all the latest info on weather, etc.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

When we lived in the Bay Area we'd go to Yosemite all year, sometimes as a day trip but more often camping in summer. You have chosen one of the best times to see the water falls, as the snow does start melting, but still you have to carry chains and some roads will be closed until May. Depends on the weather, and varies year-to-year. With the roads steep and winding even 4x4 vehicles must often use chains. As for clean vs muddy, that time of year in a heavy snow year you will actually have some of the views blocked by the snow plows piling it up alongside the road. Almost like driving in a tunnel.
    It may look muddy/dirty unless a recent snowfall has covered it. I'd still go, though, if you can, and take the opportunity. For one thing, there will be less people there than other times.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I lived in the East Bay area and was about 90 miles from Yosemite. The only time I visited the Valley was during the fire while we covered the fire for a TV news station. The Valley was so smokey that I couldn't see much of anything. Shame on me. I really regret my stupidity.
    Steve, Thank you for the site post.
    David B

Speaking of snow, Brian, are you getting some of the white stuff this morning?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

We haven't been to Yosemite in a couple of years and have never gone in the winter but much of what Joe told you is pretty typical.

Last week, we had snow on top of Mt. Diablo and Mt. Hamilton so it got down to a couple thousand feet. The valley was inundated with about 2" of rain over 4 days so lottsa water. My bike path along the Guadalupe River had several underpasses under 2' of water.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Coming home from school today was a horizontal snow storm, but it really didn't put anything down. I really need a good clean blanket of snow for a job this week. We are finally almost out of snow for the year, and now suddenly everyone needs pics in the snow. Go Figure!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    Coming home from school today was a horizontal snow storm, but it really didn't put anything down. I really need a good clean blanket of snow for a job this week. We are finally almost out of snow for the year, and now suddenly everyone needs pics in the snow. Go Figure!
    Maybe the middle of this storm will reach you tonight, it just stopped here
    and we got 2", but some areas got 6.

Sammamish, WA