Thread: #2 Burled Live-Edge Mulberry Vase

#2 Burled Live-Edge Mulberry Vase

Hey Gang,
    Here is the second Vase I turned using the same piece of Burled Mulberry Stump. It is 10" Tall and 5-3/4" in Diameter. It is sanded to 400 and 2 step Beall buffed. This was a rather fragile piece, but I tried to practice making some light cuts and some patience and was able to get it finished. I really like the rustic look and feel of Mulberry, but I am undecided on the shape I chose, but was a little limited by the live edge I was working with. Whats your opinion. Thanks for viewing. Your comments and critiques are always welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Glass; 02-26-2009 at 6:56 AM.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

The base/foot seems a bit large, but nonetheless a very cool piece.
    Richard in Wimberley

Nice work Ken! Good looking wood! Really like the natural edge! Agree with Richard on the foot/base area but it is only a minor point. Really like the photos! Especially the full profile one. Nice work Ken! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That is a lovely piece. The wood movement is going to make it a "special" piece....Bill..

Great looking NE. Good looking wood and form. I would rather see it footless myself but that is just me.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

looking good, but same advice as the others.

Looks nice, the foot does not bother me. I don't know where you are in W Central IL but I will be coming across 36 going to Jacksonville about Easter if you want to give it to a good home.

Nice job

Well Gang,
    I listened to the general consensus of comments and critiques and eliminated the foot on this vase. Now I need more critiques. I am mixed on whether I like to new improved version or not. It may seem to not be a small enough footprint on the base, but remember it is almost 6" wide and a little unbalanced. How about some feedback. I do not, however, want to hear it looked better before, and I should put the foot back on. LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Glass; 02-26-2009 at 6:33 PM. Reason: edit picture
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I like the second version! This piece will likely be used for display and the footless version has more "artistic appeal" to me.

It is a wonderful vase, if it is too unstable consider inlaying some lead into the bottom too make it stand up.

I think it looks great
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I agree, ya done good.

Ken:
    Sorry, I missed the first post. But, definitely the second version. It looks great!

All the best.

Don

The second is definitley better. The natural edge looks great, so does the finish.

I think you need to put the foot back on.
    (just kidding)
    I liked the foot, but I like this one better. Dennis' suggestion about the lead is right on, too. Well done! That 'curl' at the top makes it look like a flower that has wilted just a little.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Thanks for all the comments and critiques. It seems unanimous that the vase is better without the foot.
    Regards, Ken