Thread: Tool Review: Porter Cable Profinish 10

Tool Review: Porter Cable Profinish 10

A salesman I deal with tried to talk me into one of these and I did not bite. So... he brought one out to the jobsite and left it with me.

The Profinish 10, and I may be off a hair on the name, is what they are calling a Micro Pinner. It shoots tiny, and I do mean tiny glue coated headless pins, up to 1" long. I thought it would be useless. I was wrong.

On small returns, such as base cap, wher the piece will split if you try to pin it, they work every time. My normal method was to cut the return and glue it on, clamp it with a rubber band or two and set it aside while it dried and skip to a new spot. With this micro pinner I can pin the smallest pieces with out splitting, and nail them up immediately. The holes left are smaller than a pin prick, not even visable from 5 feet away, and i think you could paint them and they would not show, they are that small.

The owners added some wainscot in an area that was already drywalled, so I used 3/8 primed poplar and construction adhesive. this is usually a pain, because there is no nailer, and a normal pinner does not really do the job as it blows through. You only need the pins until the glue dries anyway. Two of these micro pins at opposing angles into the drywall did the trick, and nothing showed, no nailholes, just awesome. I used it for small returns on chair rail. I installed prefinished MDF cabinet crown and the holes are so small with no pucker that a finish pencil will easily take care of the holes.

All in all an awesome tool, with many uses that I'm sure I will discover, and I picked one up on the way home. It was priced at $121 dollars at my local yard, and well worth the money.

Larry, I did a google on "Porter Cable Profinish 10" a couple of ways and nothing came up.
    Does the PC function different than the Grex or Cadex micro pinners?
    I does sound like it's cheaper.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

$121 is kinda high for that gun. You can find if it for under $100.
    I have the Senco model and it also works very well. Got it for $100.

Harbor Freight has there gun for around $25 and reports are it's a good gun.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97526
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Sorry, try "FinishPro 10". I thought I may have had that backwards so I walked out to the truck. Don't know about the Grex or Cadex, but the senco pins will fit the Accuset A100mp.

Dave, for $21 dollars I am not going to quibble. My lumber yard is awesome, they have people that know what is what, their moldings are not the useless kind of crap that the box stores push on their victims, and it doesn't take all day to find a what'sit, just a phone call to my salesman. Their lumber is better and they have the things that are expected when working on the kind of houses I work on in stock, and they know what they are. I do not mind paying a little bit more, because I value service over price.

You may buy where you please. And I will support the businesses that will support me.

Are these "micro-pins" smaller than the 23ga pin nailers that are all ready available? I've seen some commercially made furniture that used what looked like a straight pin - it was easily half the diameter of the 23ga pins. Is this what these "micro-pins" are?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Sorry, try "FinishPro 10". I thought I may have had that backwards so I walked out to the truck. Don't know about the Grex or Cadex, but the senco pins will fit the Accuset A100mp.

Dave, for $21 dollars I am not going to quibble. My lumber yard is awesome, they have people that know what is what, their moldings are not the useless kind of crap that the box stores push on their victims, and it doesn't take all day to find a what'sit, just a phone call to my salesman. Their lumber is better and they have the things that are expected when working on the kind of houses I work on in stock, and they know what they are. I do not mind paying a little bit more, because I value service over price.

You may buy where you please. And I will support the businesses that will support me.

Larry, you are a good guy. I can tell you that the only reason the guy from the lumberyard left you that gun is because of your charecter. If you where not like that, you could be gluing and rubber banding for a few years more..

Blog Entries
    Amen brother!!