Thread: Nova Owners

Nova Owners

If apologies are in order for starting another "what lathe" thread, then I hereby apologize. I am truly amazed at how much knowledge and experience exists in these hallowed halls.

Having read many posts on the subject, (to incude Rick C's query over Jet & Nova) I've already learned a lot, but am still on the dang fence tending to lean towards falling off, on the Nova DVR side because of space considerations. The Jet 1642EVS looks like a wonderful machine for the price, but it's such a monster for a small hobby shop. The PM3420 also looks great, but will blow the budget. (A bandsaw is also on the horizon.) Some of you appear very pleased with your Nova's. Any last suggestions/regrets before I take the plunge ?

To answer a few questions in advance: Not a newbie woodworker, but new to turning. I have turned enough to know not to put a 13" green bowl blank on a Shopsmith with 5/8" spindle and 700 RPM minimum speed. Expecting to do mostly bowls, few spindles and few small trinkets.

Thanks in advance,
    Bill

Hey Bill,
    Welcome to the forum. Sorry I cannot help with Nova question, as am a 1642 guy, but there are many satisfied Nova owners here. On the other hand, he edited, as a beginning turner you could benefit most from the EVS.
    Last edited by Richard Madison; 02-25-2009 at 1:52 PM.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Buchanan IN View Post
    To answer a few questions in advance: Not a newbie woodworker, but new to turning. I have turned enough to know not to put a 13" green bowl blank on a Shopsmith with 5/8" spindle and 700 RPM minimum speed. Expecting to do mostly bowls, few spindles and few small trinkets.
    Have you looked around to see if you could get up close and personal with the Jet and Nova ? At a Woodcraft store maybe, or better at some other turners studio. AAW has lists of clubs at www.woodturner.org. The following pop up for Illinois.

Post pics when you've gotten your new lathe.

Central Illinois Woodturners ( Bloomington, IL )
    Web Site: http://www.centralillinoiswoodturners.com

Chicago Woodturners ( Palatine, IL )
    Web Site: http://www.chicagowoodturners.com

Flatland Woodturners ( Champaign, IL )

I K I Woodturners ( Evansville, IN )
    Web Site: http://www.ikiwoodturners.net

Lincoln Land Woodturners ( Springfield, IL )

Northern Illinois Woodturners ( Rockford, IL )

Quad Cities Woodturners ( Davenport, IA )
    Web Site: http://www.qcwoodturners.org

Windy City Woodturners ( Downers Grove, IL )
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.

The more I use mine the more I love mine. I have turned on the Jet and PM both and with a proper stand the nova is as or more stable then the PM or the Jet without ballast. Neither the Jet or the PM that I turned on had ballast so that is all that I can compare to. I have no regrets what so ever. I love the compact nature of the lathe but having the option to expand its capacity is a big plus. On mine I have the bed extension, the extension hinge, and the outrigger. The only thing I wish they would have done was use a knob rather than a button for speed changes but in reality it does not make a big difference for me.

If you get one just send me a PM and I will give you what I feel are essential setup procedures. And in really it is on any new lathe or piece of equipment because of how dirty they get with all the packing grease and such. I took every major component off of mine and performed a thorough cleaning of each component and machined surface. It makes a huge difference in how everything works.

Good Luck

Alan

If you already have a ShopSmith, why don't you want to use a speed reducer and use the SS. Save you a bunch of money. Granted, the SS is not that great a lathe, but money is money. You could spent it on chisels. For a hobby turner, I would imagine a SS would be fine. Only reason I'm asking is I just got a SS for free. I don't have the lathe parts, so I haven't tried turning on it yet. It's bigger than my mini.......

Bill:
    I bought the cheaper cousin of the DVR, the 1624-44 last year and I have been very pleased with it. I turned for years on the Delta midi. BTW, I still have it and use it.

My lathe arrived with shipping damage(not bad enough to disable it) and Tim Geist (Teknatool USA) and Craft Supply made it right.

I would take a deep breath and dive right in. The cost of the lathe is just the start of this addiction. You know a vortex has no bottom. There are certainly bigger lathes, but I am pleased with mine for what I do.

All the best.

Don

Bill,
    I have Nova DVR (pre XP model). It is quiet, smooth running. Jet and Powermatic has raised their price more than their competitors recently. The DVR is a very forgiving lathe. I am scarced to use other people's lathes. If I forget to release the spindle lock and turn on the DVR, no harm can be done. I don't think others would appreciate when I make their belt squeal.
    The motor can be programmed for soft and hard mode. The soft mode is a safe way to learn bowl coring. If the coring knife got jammed, the lathe would stop. After 3 consecutive stops, the lathe has to be resetted.
    The cons about DVR is the 5 rpm increment speed control; it would take a long time to change the speed as compared to a turn of the knob. I actually question the usefulness of so fine an adjustment. I mostly turn by the feel on speed. I doubt I would know the difference between 800 rpm or 795 rpm. The new XP model has 5 presets on speed. That should speed up the speed change.
    No full function remote switch is available.
    The service has been very good.
    Gordon

Bill I turned on both the Jet and DVR XP before buying. I ended up with the DVR because of space limitations. I have never regretted my decision. I bought the universal stand from Woodcraft, enclosed it and put 300 lbs of sandbags inside. I have had large pieces on there. It is smooth, stable and I love it. I wil say this you wouldn't go wrong with either.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bill - Welcome to the Creek! I have the Jet 1642 and love it! I do agree with most here in that no matter which lathe you decide on - you will be happy with it's performance!

Looking forward to seeing photos of your new lathe real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

10. Hey Bill.

I just got my DVR XP up and running. I tried the Jet, the other Nova, and for kicks, the PM and a large Delta. I chose the DVR because it was a) somehow more "fun" for me to use than the others b) most importantly, met my space requirements.

I'm just getting started with turning and feel spoiled on this thing. It's really, really smooth, and I have only just begun to appreciate what that means (I still just goof around with spindles). I cut out some bowl blanks yesterday so I'll be getting started with bowl turning next week.

I couldn't be more impressed. I even like the little ringtone-like music it plays on startup. I used to think it was cheesy, but now it makes me feel like I'm playing a videogame of late 70s vintage.

Alan, you mind shooting your setup tips my way? I did take everything apart and wipe it down, waxed the bed, etc. But maybe you've got some other pearls of wisdom?

Bill,

I have the pre XP DVR3000 and I love it. I agree with everything that Gordon said. I was about to purchase a new 1624-44 when I found this one used. At first I wasn't sure about the swivel headstock, but after EVS it is my favorite feature. Because of my small shop, it is in the corner against the wall, without the swivel I would have to lean over the bed.
    I think I need to cover it up so I can get some other work finished.
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

Nova Owners

Thanks one and all for your quick responses and excellent suggestions . . It's nearly decision time with March Madness expected @ Woodcraft next month.
    I have been able to get upclose, but not personal quite yet with Jet 1642, Nova DVR and 1624. I don't believe I can wrong with either.

Some excellent suggestions. . . thanks. I have been threatening to get to the turning club and will very shortly. It is held an hour away and have always found something more pressing for a Sunday afternoon.

I am aware that the Nova will need a stand with ballast and am actually looking forward to putting that together. No it won't be Alan's stand...I wish I had his welding and design talents. Now That's a Stand !

Bill,

I have the Nova 1624-44 and love it so far. Very smooth and doesn't move around much. I added a wooden shelf below with the intent of adding ballast but so far have not needed it. Also toying with the idea of adding lead shot to the hollow legs but again have not needed it.

Best features: rotating head stock, small size for the power, quality workmanship, extensible bed, out rigger tool rest available, uses all standard accessories.

The 1624 is belt drive and I wish I had the variable speed but I could not justify the cost at the time. Maybe someday.
    John Trax