Thread: 4ft by 8ft sign question

4ft by 8ft sign question

I have a client that wondered if I can make their primary outside sign. My initial response is no but the idea is interesting. I do not have a CNC so I would have to sub it out. The primary sign shop in the area has basically ignored their requests for a quote so that is the only reason I am contemplating this project.

I am including the basic sign shape that is at the site. The sign will be removed so a new sign can be installed. Existing sign is routed and engraved. The edge is routed away to provide step down before the edge of the sign. All letters and graphics look V carved. The sign is 4'x8' and about 4" thick. It looks to be all wood.

The sign is completely held up by two posts from underneath. There are two bolts per bracket. I included side and top view in the cdr.

I would have to create a sign that could be bolted from the bottom (no side supports). The shape could be modified. Also, the client requested to raise the sign at least a foot so I would need to modify the existing support brackets or make the new sign taller. I have a contractor already who stated he would cut off the existing supports and put a new pole around the existing and weld the top bracket on. I was hoping to just find a source for a new support but maybe it is normal to manufacture your own.

Initially I had thought that I could use a flat surface sign and use raised letters/objects for the name and logo but not sure the best material to do this with.

I also have no idea what even a ballpark figure to charge for something like this. If possibly I can find someone in the NW to do this, I could sub it out to you and have it shipped with me installing.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bob Cole; 02-24-2009 at 8:40 PM.

If the sign is that thick there may be supports that run up inside at the post.
    For raised letters make a drawing and request a quote from Gemini, that's their specialty. They can also attach mounting hardware on the letters and provide a template for layout.
    Sorry but I don't live close enough to help.

You could talk to my friend Bob at Creative Sandblasting, he's just south of you in Oakesdale, WA. I'm having him make up a couple of 14"x84" signs right now, just called him today. He can glue up some 2x clear cedar, sandblast in the letters to look like the old carved sign, then you can do the painting. He's also good with posts assemblies. Probably somewhere around $40-50 sf, here we'd charge $100 sf retail finished plus posts, hardware and installation. PM me if you want the number. He's been doing my sandblasted sign blanks since 1996, used to be in this area.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green