Thread: Tool Stores????

Cool Tool Stores????

I've just relocated to Sacramento from Seattle....and I need to know where/what the good stores are. I sold my cabinet saw in Seattle and will need to buy a new one here...Powermatic, Jet, or Delta. I also need to find a place to buy cabinet grade plywood, poplar and other hardwoods.....please don't tell me Home Depot or Lowes. I live in the Rocklin area...but I'm willing to drive to find the "real stores". Can anybody help me get my woodworking needs figured out??? Seattle has loads of great stores....but I'm scratching my head here a little..

There used to be a Woodcraft in Sacramento

can't recall exactly where - I stopped in when I was up there once, from my home base in Sonoma County.

Welcome Shattuck.

Theres' a Woodcraft on Folsom Blvd.

There's Sacramento Machine - at the end of Northgate (i think that's main street, or near there).

My favorite, though, is Western Tool Supply in West Sacramento on West Capital. It's where half the tools in my shop came from. The manager gives good deals to local club members, too (sacramento area woodworkers).

That's really it. There's also Murray Industrial down in midtown - I can never remember what street it's on - 8th, i think ... 8th and ... R? maybe ... You could prolly find it in the Yeller pages.

There used to be a Western Tool in Citrus Heights, but they closed last year. There aren't any others in that area that I know of. The club's been begging Rockler to put in a store nearby for years. Sacramento Machine resells a few Rockler products, but they don't honor Rockler coupons or sales - kinda bunk.

Now - what really gets me goin is that we're just a couple hour drive away from the mecca. The bay area is LOADED with woodworking joys. Our three lumber yards pale in comparison to the offerings of MacBeath in Oakland. There's Hida Tool in Berkeley, Rockler in Pleasant Hill (going down there this saturday, actually), Japan Woodworker's down there as well. That's just a few of the stores down that way - Chris Padilla probably knows 'em all

Welcome to this uneventful town!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

If I lived there, I'd certainly check out the Felder store. Not sure of the address.

Good point, Steve. That's in West Sac, also. There's also a Grainger's over there, too.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

If you're interested in Felder, they're on the far west side off 80. Literally as far as you can go before crossing the causeway into oblivion ;-)

1851 Enterprise

They have an open house March 6th and 7th. Not that they aren't always open ... but I guess this is a show of some kind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shattuck Barnes View Post
    I've just relocated to Sacramento from Seattle....and I need to know where/what the good stores are. I sold my cabinet saw in Seattle and will need to buy a new one here...Powermatic, Jet, or Delta. I also need to find a place to buy cabinet grade plywood, poplar and other hardwoods.....please don't tell me Home Depot or Lowes. I live in the Rocklin area...but I'm willing to drive to find the "real stores". Can anybody help me get my woodworking needs figured out??? Seattle has loads of great stores....but I'm scratching my head here a little..
    The Woodcraft is out in Folsom but, just barely. Head east on 50, get off on Bradshaw and take a left, go to Folsom Blvd and take a left, the store is about 1/2 mile(?) down the road on your right.
    9523 Folsom Blvd.
    Sacramento, CA 95827 Phone: (916) 362-9664

The Rockler is out in Pleasant Hill which is a bit of a drive:

541 Contra Costa Blvd
    Pleasant Hill, CA 94523 (925) 521-1800
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Shattuck:

For plywood and hardwoods, try Hughes Hardwoods in Rancho Cordova (close to Sunrise and 50). Also, if you need things like steel, aluminum, nuts, bolts, etc., it is worth a trip to Blue Collar supply on Florin-Perkins road. They have stuff in bulk bins and sell by the pound.

Richard

Wow!

What a great response from all of you. Happy to have stumbled across this site....look forward to visiting more often.

thanks