Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Oshlun Dado Set!

The Oshlun Dado Set!

I finally got around to using my new Oshlun 8" Dado set and was more then pleased with the performance of this set. The dado's were exact in size and flat on the bottoms. Everything is marked as to size and it came with instructions on which blade combination to use for various widths. It was a good purchase I think and would highly recommend it. I have the Model SDS-0842 that works from 1/4" to 29/32".
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Thumbs up

Good feedback to hear Gary. For those not familiar with Oshlun or this set, they were formerly Avenger AFAIK. This is the 8" set with C-4 carbide, 42T cutters and 6T chippers that's very similar to the design of the $300 Systimatic Superfine 42T/6T set. Holbren carries is for ~ $72 shipped with "SMC10" discount. The 6" set is ~ $63 shipped.

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Question Long term feedback

Anyone used these long term and have feedback. I have some amazon gift cards burning a hole in my pocket and I'm tempted to pick up this set, at $65 it has better overall reviews on amazon then the Freud 208 at $30 cheaper.

Do you feel like they stay sharp "long enough" or do the require excessive sharpening?

I have a hybrid saw, so only 1 1/2 horse, will I regret trying to run a stack with this many teeth on a saw without a ton of power?

I have been using the oshlun dado set since march. In fact I used it again today. I am happy every time I use it. My only complaint is that when you install the 2 cutters and 4 chippers for 3/4" dado. It really isn't 3/4". It is like 17/32 which would be good for 3/4" plywood. But I do very little plywood work so it is kind of a pain for me. But the set still cuts beautiful after moderate use, and the bottoms have always been flat. I think this set would easily be worth $200. It beats the freud sd206 set I replaced it with hands down. The dados are much cleaner than the freud set.

I agree. This is a great dado set, especially for the price. Very flat bottoms and easy to set up. I got mine from Amazon as a Christmas present to go with my (then) new SawStop. Tomorrow I'll use it to cut box joints and rabbets as I make new hives for Spring.

I'm pretty sure The Rock still has 'em for $59.99 shipped. That's where I got my set a few weeks ago.
    I too chose Oshlun over Freud and saved a few bucks.

Redheads are like other women – only more so

I have a question - can the Oslun set really go down to ¼"? I have the Harbor Freight similar set, and the 42-tooth outer blades (slightly greater than 1/8" kerf) do not allow offset of the teeth with no shims or chippers installed. It works fine for about 5/16" and up.

Neither of the dado sets I have had would go narrow enough for modern "1/4" plywood. I use 2 thin kerf full 10" blades stacked together, works slick, even a sawstop will spin 2 10" blades stacked together.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    I have been using the oshlun dado set since march. In fact I used it again today. I am happy every time I use it. My only complaint is that when you install the 2 cutters and 4 chippers for 3/4" dado. It really isn't 3/4". It is like 17/32 which would be good for 3/4" plywood. But I do very little plywood work so it is kind of a pain for me. But the set still cuts beautiful after moderate use, and the bottoms have always been flat. I think this set would easily be worth $200. It beats the freud sd206 set I replaced it with hands down. The dados are much cleaner than the freud set.
    When I stack 2 cutters and 4 chippers in my Oshlund 8" set, I get cuts that are 23/32", not 17/32". A couple shims and it's dead on 3/4". I find this setup better than a set that cuts dead-on 3/4" with just the cutters and chippers because if that is the case it is virtually impossible to cut an accurate slot for 3/4" plywood that is actually 23/32". An even better approach, at least for me, is to cut the dado on the small side (say 1/2") and then rabbett the mating piece to match the dado. According to Tage Frid, this makes a stronger joint anyway. I don't think the Oshlun set can be beat for the money.

I have this set and love it - nice flat bottoms, and Ive used it quite a bit over the last year with no need for sharpening yet. I really like the full-blade design of the chippers, gives the set plenty of mass and I think its much easier to handle and align than those with the two sided "wing" style.
    According to my Email Rockler has this set on sale right now! $60 plus free shipping with code V0737.
    Edit: When I followed the Rockler link in my email, the Oshlun set is listed as oversold (you can still reserve a set) and at regular price - not sure whats up with that since I just got the email two hours ago.
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have this set in the old Avenger brand and like it alot. I'm not to impressed with the brass shims as I find them hard to install. I don't see the need for the hole in the shims to be as precise as the hole in the blades.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn View Post
    I have this set in the old Avenger brand and like it alot. I'm not to impressed with the brass shims as I find them hard to install. I don't see the need for the hole in the shims to be as precise as the hole in the blades.
    I have the Oshlun 8" set (and a HF set, and a Freud set....). I use a pair of scissors and turn the hole in the shims into an open slot. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by truitt sosebee View Post
    When I stack 2 cutters and 4 chippers in my Oshlund 8" set, I get cuts that are 23/32", not 17/32". A couple shims and it's dead on 3/4". I find this setup better than a set that cuts dead-on 3/4" with just the cutters and chippers because if that is the case it is virtually impossible to cut an accurate slot for 3/4" plywood that is actually 23/32". An even better approach, at least for me, is to cut the dado on the small side (say 1/2") and then rabbett the mating piece to match the dado. According to Tage Frid, this makes a stronger joint anyway. I don't think the Oshlun set can be beat for the money.
    That was a typo on my part. I don't know how the heck I got 17/32 in there but I ment I get 23/32 dados with 2 cutters and 4 chippers.

I just got this set too, about a month ago. It is an awesome value, and huge improvement over the cheapo delta 6" set I had.

One note, the instructions do state that the blades are slightly undersized on purpose to make fitting to today's plywood sizes easier. They give you plenty of good shims to make just the right size.

I like my Oshlun set so much, I think I'm about to order the Oshlun Box Joint set too!

As usual, I'm several years late to this thread. I have the SystiMatic 42-tooth monster with full circular chippers, like this Oshlun set (not the wimpy wing type). My chippers have six teeth each and something tells me that may mean slightly lower risk of vibration than with the five-tooth chippers of the Oshlun set. I could be wrong here.

In any case, the full circles are also, of course, full thickness, so they are quite massive steel discs. Wood has no chance against this beast, and I doubt a saw under 3 HP would push it around, especially with a 3/4" cut. (That may be why the market has turned to the lighter wing chippers.)

This dado set has been my very favorite power tool for nearly 20 years. Every time I pull it out I'm reminded of what a juggernaut it is. Alas, SystiMatic got out of the business years ago and its purchaser discontinued the dado set. I expect the Oshluns are probably just as good, and one very nice things about them is that they have a 3/32" chipper to help with plywood! But I still cherish my SystiMatic set as a bygone, well-made tool (kind of like my 1922 Bed Rock 607).

I'll drop a venerable name and say that I spent a week this year with David Charlesworth, who informed me you can't buy a dado set in England. I'm glad we can still get them in the US.