Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Oshlun Dado Set!

So as this thread has been re-opened, if one was looking for the best Dado set, for say less than $300, for use with a 5/8" arbor, what would everyone recommend.

I have the 1/4"/3/8" Freud Box joint finger set and these cut very nicely.

Chris, if I were buying today (and I'm not), I'd probably seriously consider the Freud SD sets, even though I was extremely pleased with the Forrest Dado King I had when I owned a cabinet saw. I did pick up the Olshun set mentioned here from another 'Creeker "used" (not, actually) for a low price in case I ever feel the need to cut dados with my slider (and after I make a proper insert for that), but I think that the Freud SD series offers a lot for the money. Since you've had good experience with the box joint set, staying in the family could make sense for consistency.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    So as this thread has been re-opened, if one was looking for the best Dado set, for say less than $300, for use with a 5/8" arbor, what would everyone recommend.

I have the 1/4"/3/8" Freud Box joint finger set and these cut very nicely.
    I have the Freud 'Dial a width'. Previously had an AMT (?) dual wobble type. The Freud is much better and quite nice, cuts squarely and can be dialed in to the exact width you want. I would purchase again.

Blog Entries
    Freud SD 508 is my "go-to" although I have others. The dial-a-width can be a godsend if you dado a lot.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Like everyone in the old post, I got the Oshlun set about then and have been extremely pleased with the performance.
    I only use it a couple of times a month (but over 10 years that adds up) and it still performs more flawlessly than I do.
    I haven't used the Freud, but with the Oshlun still running great, I don't feel the need to try another yet.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

The Freud SD508 has just been placed on my Christmas List, now I've got to have the discipline not to buy it myself before then.

I have the Oshlun, and it cuts fine, but mine was a little tight on the arbor of my Unisaw, so had my machinist buddy ream it slightly so it would slide over the arbor. He said he only took off about 1/1000, but made a huge difference.

This necro thread has turned out to be a “how has it performed after 10 years” thread. Nice.

And Bob Jones you sound like you’re writing a novel (or a more scandalous writing) when you use words like “beast”, “juggernaut”, and “massive” to describe a dado set, which isn’t even the one this thread is about! Lol