Thread: Braille Problem

Braille Problem

Hello All.
    I have a question about braille layout. I have been asked to provide strips of braille test for directory boards being provided by another signmaker.
    I am using Vision Pro software with a braille translator. My problem is how do I give the information for the reader to turn right/left /straight on etc. I had thought of a tactile arrow on my little strip but the other guy thinks I should be able to relay this info using braille. The strips are placed away from the visual text at the bottom of the board one above each other. if I do go the raised arrow route would they all be at the righthand side of the strip pointing in the right direction. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ian Rankin

I'm certainly not an expert on braille but do know this. ADA reg says Grade II braille is to match the corresponding tactile text and is to be placed a minimum of 3/8" under that text. Subsequently, a non sighted person would not be expecting anything other than that which is always in landscape orientation (horizontal). That leads me to believe that something that tells the person how the text is oriented does not exist. If I understand the question..I would mark the left corner of the strip as being proper orientation. Since it's Grade II which uses contractions and is pretty rigid in it's structure, may not allow a symbol like an arrow and remain proper.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Larry thanks for reply. I probably haven't explained properly what is going on. I am only making the strip with the braille beads. The text above is being made by someone else. The directory will have many lines of rooms eg. Main Lecture Room which could have an arrow pointing to the right,. My braille is to be strips all placed at the bottom of the directory in the same order as the text above. My question is how do I add the arrow to the braille so people reading the braille only will know Main Lecture Room is to the right. I am at the bottom of the manufacturing pile and although I am being told the way to do it I would like to get it right.

Regards
    Ian Rankin

OH..I gotcha now.
    I think I would just make the braille read "main lecture room to the right" or if you check this website, you will see the various braille that indicates directional arrows.
    http://www.brl.org/codes/session05/arrows.html. I did have Vision software until I sold it with the rotary machine and this issue never came up, so I don't know if it will return a translation or not.

Edit: Just checked it out..I used Aaron's braille translator and typed in a ---> and it translated it. It matches what is shown on the above link. I would say that based on that..Vision will do the arrow for you.
    Last edited by Larry Bratton; 02-21-2009 at 5:51 PM. Reason: added comment
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Larry thanks for reply. I can't figure out what keystrokes are used for arrows Perhaps you could help.

Regards
    Ian Rankin

I've seen a few hundred directory systems and I've never seen a braille directory system. I've never used braille on a directory system. In fact, most of the ones I work with have glass in front of them and are lite from behind.

I'd be interested to know why they are making the directory in braille, and how they are making it. They are normally vertically stacked, so which one goes at the 60" center height? It's possible one could be out of reach.

If you get a chance or can take a photo, I'd love to see it.

Not saying it's wrong, just saying I've never made one or seen one.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rankin View Post
    Larry thanks for reply. I can't figure out what keystrokes are used for arrows Perhaps you could help.

Regards
    Ian Rankin
    ___> Three short dashes and the right hand arrow on your keyboard (right above the period). When translated it gives the braille equivalent.
    Last edited by Larry Bratton; 02-23-2009 at 8:01 PM.