Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engraving slate

Engraving slate

Hi all,

I have been lurking here for a few months, and have gained invaluable knowledge from all here.
    I am based in Ennis in Ireland and am just getting into laser engraving. Initial purchase was to laser engrave a stainless steel product using Cermark.
    Like everyone else I got bit by the laser bug and started to engrave everything I could get my hands on!
    However I finally focused (to some small extent) on engraving slate tiles. Attached are some images of the end result.
    I would appreciate feedback and pointers in relation to experiences engraving slate.

Thanks in advance!

Stephen

LOL...It must be forget to post the pics day.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

Welcome, Steve! I'd love to comment on your slate.... if I could see them. Please attach your images using the "attach files" option below your "reply to thread box".

I'm very curious to see what slate results are like, I've been thinking of trying some myself.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

OOOps

Figured it out

Stephen

Here we go
    Attached Images Attached Images

They turned out very well. I never had much luck with slate myself.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Stephen.....Welcome to the Creek!

Very nice results there! My experiments in slate never came close to THAT!

Interesting outline shape you have there....definitely not your typical oval!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Nice work. I'd like to find some slate that black.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Welcome Stephen. As the others said, nice results!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Welcome to the Creek Stephen! Those look awesome! I was told in the beginning that slate was hard to work with due to the uneven surface, But you make it look easy!
    John & Alicia Love
    Pinnacle M series 40 Watt Laser
    Coreldraw X3, Photograv V2_11,
    an old handsaw and a garage full of toys.
    4 Kids (3 girls one boy), 4 grandkids, a Bloodhound, St. Bernard and a boxer.
    The dogs own the place and allow us to live with them.

I Like kids... I just can't eat a whole one
    Save the whales... Collect the whole set
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works if its open

Quote Originally Posted by John W. Love View Post
    Welcome to the Creek Stephen! Those look awesome! I was told in the beginning that slate was hard to work with due to the uneven surface, But you make it look easy!
    You can get some really nice roofing slate which is flat and smooth,another material that lasts for hundereds of years like our buildings, thats what I miss about the old country

Thanks David, I might look into that sometime and see how it goes. Stephen's pictures had quite a bit of detail to them, more that I expected, and came out very neat and clean looking.
    John & Alicia Love
    Pinnacle M series 40 Watt Laser
    Coreldraw X3, Photograv V2_11,
    an old handsaw and a garage full of toys.
    4 Kids (3 girls one boy), 4 grandkids, a Bloodhound, St. Bernard and a boxer.
    The dogs own the place and allow us to live with them.

I Like kids... I just can't eat a whole one
    Save the whales... Collect the whole set
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works if its open

Nice job!!!

Welcome to the Creek Steve. Nice to see someone from this side of the pond. Slate came out very well, I have used it quite a bit, only problem comes when too many people handle it with grease on their fingers. If you put it where no one will touch it looks fantastic.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

This is UK supplier will ship oversea's http://www.slateproducts.com/home.html not sure what it would cost to get that over here. Maybe I'll put some in my luggage case when I go over to visit my parents, plenty of houses in their neighbourhood with these roofs .