Thread: Go to first new post 120 to 220 bandsaw conversion? Addendum

Go to first new post 120 to 220 bandsaw conversion? Addendum

As far as most newer manufacture power tools (my Jet 18" Band Saw, as an example)....
    The wires in the cord are both switched (black and white), and when converted to 240 volt, both 240 volt wires being black, white, are therefore switched.
    It merely requires that the motor wiring be changed for the higher voltage, and that the cord cap (plug) be changed for a dedicated 240 volt circuit.
    The NEC does not apply to Machine Tool Wiring. Just buildings and structure.
    Makes it really simple when converting from 120 to 240 volt wiring.
    Change the motor following the nameplate, change the plug, feed it 240 and smile a big old smile!

Technically you are required to mark the white wire with tape to show it as a current carrying conductor. (Black, blue, red, etc.)

I'm guessing you're referring to something I might have started. I'm hesitating to reply to this one, but thank you! That other thread seemed to develop a virulent strain of its own. Just as it was being closed I was about to take full responsibility and ask how to shut it down because I couldn't find the 'close' button. With all the very intelligent responses and high level of thought, which I learned a lot from, not one of them actually answered my question.

Your answer was exactly what I would have needed at the time. What I did, which, of course, I should have done sooner, was to follow the wires. Then I could see that one from each group of four went to the switch, and the other three from each group went to the motor, each with its own color. Then I was able to follow the diagram on the motor intelligently. It took about two minutes. Of course, now I'm not sure that I needed to bother with it, but it makes me feel better.

Now, quick, someone please stomp this one out before it gets out of control.

But seriously, I am very impressed with the level of help that I get here and do appreciate all those who respond. If nothing else, it got me to Contribute!

You are very welcome, Ken.
    I didn't wade through the entire mire your original post was becoming, and did not get to it early enough to post before it was closed.
    So I took this shot. I felt you might need a voice of experiance.
    It is very common today, especially with the influx of foreign machines, that they often if not the rule, control both the hot leg (normally black) and the neutral (normally white) at the switch.
    Whether it is a plain switch, or a manual motor starter, or a magnetic motor starter.
    If it is a dual voltage capable machine, the ones I have had my fingers in had both conductors switched.
    Happy Band Sawing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Casser View Post
    ... someone please stomp this one out before it gets out of control.
    Done. The other thread was Closed for a reason and I'm going to close this one before we get a bunch more commentary that gets out of hand.